.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

5/07/2007

Secret of a Marriage

Moving to a new house can put any successful marriage into a real test. And we're now into our third month of this test and not doing too great. People who've met my husband fall in love with his gregarious personality. Always cheerful, always happy, always humourous. But they don't see the dark side of him. The side that screams his head off with anger, the side that slams a fist through the wall, the side that in a blink of an eye can cause damage to a cabinet. No one believes me when I tell them about it. And it sure makes it difficult to get any sympathy to my side of the story when he blames me for his outbursts.

But he's a good man. It takes him about an hour to fully regret his behaviour and apologise with a hug.

Me, on the other hand, I can't let it go. I can't forget it. I can't forgive the anger burst. I can't just move on so fast. It takes me a couple of days. So that's why I haven't written in a few days.

The frustrating thing is that the last argument we had this weekend was just a miscommunication. Me thinking that he wanted electricity in the new island in our kitchen and trying to suggest a solution, and him not informing me that he's decided he doesn't want it.

As a project manager it's my role at work to make sure everyone is on the same page when it comes to the design and the client's requirements. But once I leave work I leave the hard hat behind and just act like a regular wife who can't figure out her husband and only contributes to the miscommunication.

Same with him. At work he's a master of communication. Manages dozens of people. And controls a multi million budget. But once he leaves work, there's no budget, there's no communication.

Maybe it'd be better if we continued to work while at home. We do. In a different way. Our marriage is a success because we don't give up after each argument. We keep fighting to get to the bottom of it. We keep arguing til we understand each other. We don't let go. And then we end up compromising our own needs and take into consideration the other person's needs. You'd think this would leave us both feeling short changed and angry at having to give up. But somehow we always end up happily married.

Until the next silly argument.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • It's not just the "good times" that make a marriage. Believe it or not, it's the bad times too. Helps to put everything into perspective. You just have to keep the good and the bad in perfect balance.

    By Blogger Mike, at 10:28 PM, May 07, 2007  

  • I believe you. And I'm telling you, he needs to find a better way to deal with his anger because otherwise, it's hell on both of you.

    The punching walls and screaming, that's not just "normal guy behavior." It's really, really bad behavior. And it can create a violent, intimidating atmosphere that's toxic.

    I would seriously suggest getting counseling, sooner rather than later. Because those kinds of outbursts are really hard on a marriage over the long term.

    Sorry if I'm being a buttinski. But your words set off warning bells in my head. I'm not saying your husband isn't a good man. I just suspect he has a problem that needs to be taken seriously.

    By Blogger Phoebe Fay, at 1:37 AM, May 08, 2007  

  • Phoebe, these rage outbursts put warning bells in my head before our marriage and I made it very clear to him that if he ever dares hit me, I'm leaving.

    So no, it never happened (if it did, I wouldn't have stuck around). His outbursts were less than a handful in our 14 years of marriage. The one this past weekend was one of those handful. The rest of the time it's just normal frustration and anger between a married couple. Admittedly, he has gotten a LOT better at controlling his anger since we got married (he actually ended up in the ship's brig one time for punching out an officer). Maybe I'm good influence on him after all.

    He's asked me to tell him when he's being an idiot. So I'm going to take his advice and do so if it happens again. Or maybe I'll just wake up every morning and tell him that. I know he'll appreciate it.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 7:46 AM, May 08, 2007  

  • Slim Whitman hates word verification. He thinks that might be why you didn't get Simmed properly last night.

    By Blogger Mike, at 8:21 AM, May 09, 2007  

  • Anger bursts are part of being human. Geez, who hasn't had them? I'm surprised people think anyone has never had one.

    Now, the trick is to direct your anger away from loved ones and destroy inanimate objects. That's what separates good from evil.

    At work he's a master of communication. Manages dozens of people. And controls a multi million budget.

    Well, that's a lot harder work than people realize. If he makes a big mistake, guess whose butt is on the line?

    It's not easy being a man. It's hard work, and even harder that we're not allowed to have emotion in today's society. Imagine hiding what you're really feeling because political correctness forbids it. I'm surprised there's not even more insanity and homicide.

    From reading your blog for almost two years now, I could tell your husband loves you very much. A good man isn't easy to find nowadays.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:48 PM, May 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home