.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

7/25/2006

To Take the Oath or Not...

Today I will be asked the toughest question of my life in a face to face interview. A question I had already responded to in my application with a resounding "NO." I'm scared. I'm worried. I'm stressed. I'm terrified.

In four hours I will be undergoing my citizenship interview and exam. 100 questions known ahead, but I will only be asked 14 out of these. Then I'll be asked to write something down in English, read something in English, and answer in English (gasp). But that's the easy part.

The difficult part is taking the oath:

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God. In acknowledgement whereof I have hereunto affixed my signature.


I have two problems with this oath and after reading on this extensively I understand I'm not alone with this problem. So sure, it's a consolation, but they're still requiring me to bring proof of why I can't take this oath.

So here's problem # 1:

I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen

Alright, I'd rather die than renounce my allegiance to Israel, of which I will remain a citizen even after getting the US Citizenship.

Problem # 2:

that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law;


Well now I have a personal problem - I'm against guns. (Sorry to all NRA members for disappointing you with my views). My best friend was killed by a gun when he was 13. The tears I shed then were mixed with a vow to hate guns forever. While I realise this is hypothetical and not realistic, it is still an oath - one which I'm unable to commit. I honestly don't care if others hold guns and kill our enemies, but I just cannot bear arms myself! I'll gladly perform any other non-combative role in a war for the United States (provided it is not against my other country of citizenship). And I believe I've proven that by volunteering seven years of my life at the USO in Israel, including during the Persian Gulf war.

I'm really worried about the two things above because I'm requested to bring proof that I refuse to bear arms for religious reasons, and mine isn't a religious reason by any means. The other thing I learned is that dual citizenship is not seen favourably by the United States but the State Department apparently turns a blind eye on it. Ok, so what does that mean for my oath? Do I tell them I plan on holding dual citizenship and that is why I cannot renounce my other country?

You're all wondering why I'm worried, well you would be too if you read the "How to become a US Citizen" book. For example, one of the stories there: A person entered the interview and sat down without being asked to sit down by the immigration officer. He threw her out because he assessed that she must not understand English if he never told her to have a seat. Ok, if I didn't read this in the book, you can betcha your life that I'd sit down without waiting for an officer to tell me "have a seat" if there's clearly a seat across the table that's meant for me. It's my nature. I don't do things standing up. Sorry, men.

Another story: a woman who's doing her PhD in the history of American civil rights, is asked at the interview "who was Martin Luther King." She launches into "I have a dream" and proceeds to quote key excerpts from it and talk about him extensively. WRONG! She failed the question!!! She should have answered simply "Civil Rights Leader" and move on!

I am so tempted to find out the exact names of the red, white and blue on the American flag so I can show off...

Wish me luck everyone!

You Passed the US Citizenship Test
Congratulations - you got 10 out of 10 correct!

7 Comments:

  • OKay, I took the test and I got 8/10. I guess being born here doesn't give us a perfect score. I don't blame you. I would have some resrevations too.

    By Blogger Mike, at 8:23 PM, July 25, 2006  

  • Mike, I congratulate you for getting a higher score than my American husband! I've already requested the immigration officer to deport my husband because he's failed every single question I've asked him. And to clarify - I don't think I've ever met a smarter man than my husband, yet for some reason he failed the questions I asked.

    By the way, I passed. :-)

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 8:52 PM, July 25, 2006  

  • Yeah, me too. 8 out of 10. I was really guessing on a couple though, so maybe it isn't too bad. And me, a history buff!

    Mtrain

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:21 PM, July 25, 2006  

  • Congratulations on passing the test.

    By Blogger Mike, at 11:23 AM, July 26, 2006  

  • Hey, c'mon! It's 48 hours now since you had to make your decision and you haven't told us what happened! Please, I haven't slept in days wondering what the final result was. Put me out of my misery! um, wait, that's not what I... oh, wll.

    Mtrain

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:33 PM, July 27, 2006  

  • mtrain, I'd put you out of your misery if you lived closer. ;-)

    As for telling you what happened, when I get a chance I promise. Probably this weekend.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 7:56 AM, July 28, 2006  

  • Congrats....so now u part of the land of the brave......:)

    By Blogger Aftab Iqbal, at 9:37 AM, July 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home