.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

7/06/2006

World Cup

I read this article online and I'm just shocked. What type of people kill others because they were watching a SOCCER GAME and then proclaim that it's because their religious beliefs prohibit it? I just cannot understand how some fanatics grow up to twist what religion means and justify murder in the name of religion. No God on earth or in the heavens above had ever said that man should kill man. I only recall that it was God's decision to take the lives of humans, not ours. So do these men honestly believe they were put on earth as Gods?

Some believe that the answer to all this, is to kill all radicals. But from experience - new radicals are born and raised every day.

The only answer is spread education around the world. Teach every child the same moral values for all humans - injuring or killing another human is wrong! That's the only moral value I believe should be taught globally. Everything else will fall into place once this is understood.

I know I'm fighting windmills, but I'm just outraged that when people seek peaceful ways to understand other cultures and to find what's common between us all (and World Cup Soccer definitely qualifies!), then they ought to be commended for it and not killed.


On a different note but related to the World Cup, I've been having amusing communications with my family back home about it. Soccer is our national game, so everyone is glued to the TV for any game. My Polish mom has a different twist on it though. Here's a couple of text messages she sent me before recent games:
Have a good time watching "yeke" fighting "spaghetti"
(Yeke is what we call Germans in Israel).

Her next message after the game:
Germany out, Macaroni in.

I responded this morning with:
Pizza vs. Escargot on Sunday. Will u watch with Polish Sausage?

2 Comments:

  • Love & religion. The two most destructive forces on the planet.

    By Blogger Mike, at 8:30 PM, July 07, 2006  

  • You already know how I feel about what religion has done to the world, so I won't beat that horse any longer, but it would please me no end to see all religion disappear in a cloud of dust.

    The particular group that would like to see everyone but itself die has always been my favorite demons. Someday there will be an enormous uprising in the world and they will be swept away in a sea of blood, something they have earned.

    The World Cup has been the most fun ever, and even though I still think that someone who is trying to kick a goal and kicks the ball 80 feet over the net isn't showing too much ability.

    mtrain

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:21 AM, July 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home