.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

6/30/2006

How the exam went

After a very stressful drive into DC after the major flooding I made it on time to the exam.

It was FAR more difficult than I was led to believe from the five books I studied from. Even with the very intensive studies the two weekends prior to the exam – it wasn’t enough! Granted I did hear warnings that they made the exam far more difficult to pass, yet lowered the percentage to pass from 75% to 61%.

I started the exam and realized that I have zero concentration levels that morning (due to the flooding and the drive, and an accident that occured right below). The exam is computerized. There’s an option on the exam to mark each question you’re not sure of for later review. When I got to Question 30 and realized I marked up 25 of them, I was sort of happy that I’m done with the 25 questions that were probably not graded (this exam has 200 questions, out of which 25 are not graded). But when I got to question 60 and I was still marking questions I began to worry. When I reached Question 90 I took a break and refocused. I knew that from Question 90 til the end if I could get all of them right, I could still pass the exam. But no, the questions just got harder and harder! I took two more breaks.

When I did the sample tests from the books and internet I had the confidence that I’d finish the exam within two hours and then I could go back to work, or if I really wanted to I could review my exam for the other two hours. When I finished question 200 I took a break. This time I was getting myself mentally ready for failure. I was organizing in my head my new schedule of studies and when I’ll be able to take it again. I processed in my mind whether I'd tell my coworkers that I failed or whether I'd keep it to myself.

I got back to the room and started reviewing the questions. I changed about 10-15 responses out of the 200.

I finished the exam after 3 hours and 48 minutes! I was completely drained out. My brain was fried. I could no longer concentrate on anything and just wanted to go back to work. I clicked on “end” and the screen went white. Nothing. No logo. No “calculating”. Just NOTHING. For sixty VERY LONG seconds! I looked under the table in panic thinking I had just disconnected the computer by mistake and will have to take the exam again. I kept looking at the screen anticipating the red print that says “Sorry, you failed.” But after a minute the screen came back on with these two sentences on the screen in the exact same size and print of the exam questions (small), and it said, “Congratulations! Your PMP kit will be sent to your address within four weeks.” I stared at it for a long time. Read it four times. I kept trying to process what I was reading. Did it say “congratulations you finished the exam. FINALLY” or did it say I passed. My brain just wouldn’t process any more written material. When it finally dawned on me, I was in complete shock. Because I swear I was convinced I was failing!


But I passed! And it’s a HUGE relief for me.

I got back to my office and first thing I did was email the three men I studied with. The email just said “you owe me lunch” because we had a bet that whoever passes the exam the others owe them lunch.

I got more than a lunch out of it, which makes it all the more worth it!


HAPPY FRIDAY to everyone! And if I don't return to post before the 4th of July I wish all Americans, wherever you may be, a very happy Independence Day celebration!

Todah La'el Hayom Yom Shishi.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home