.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

8/01/2006

A Visit to a German Restaurant

A couple of weekends ago my husband and I decided to try out a German restaurant we've never been to. It was half hour drive from our home, but well worth the drive. It's a family business, started by the parents and now run by their children. The atmosphere in this bar-restaurant was very reminiscent of Germany. We decided to sit outside in the garden when this woman comes out dressed as a German and playing an accordion, singing in German. I was trying so hard to keep a straight face, but then she started encouraging everyone to join her in German and raise their beer mugs - that's when I just had to laugh. It was just wierd! Americans are just not Germans! But everyone seemed to enjoy it and have a good time.

My husband had a bit too much alcohol (German) that day and I ended up driving. I don't recall ever seeing my husband THAT drunk! Even when I met him and he'd drink 15 beer cans one after the other, he was never this crazy. But he's a cute drunk. The type that giggles, is always happy, and goes into momentary lapses of serious thinking about metaphysical matters. And then he just falls asleep. Til the next day.
He had a great time drinking, I loved the Wiener Schnitzel (my favourite meat!).
Here's an audio sample from the restaurant to give you an idea...
this is an audio post - click to play

2 Comments:

  • Weiner Schnitzel is good, if often a bit too heavy, and German beer is just as advertised -- powerful! I remember on one Oktoberfest having a tall stein of the dark stuff, and not daring to try another. I barely made it home alive. To this day I make a wide circle around anything containing German beer, including German frauleins.

    Mtrain

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:48 PM, August 01, 2006  

  • Sounds like a lot of fun to me. I used to go to a really nice German Restaurant up in Michigan all the time. It was run by some people I knew through mutual friends. They shut it down a few years ago, so I haven't had my German food fix in a while.

    By Blogger Mike, at 9:56 AM, August 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home