.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

7/13/2005

"Breaking News"

Between submitting my pre-resignation letter to my boss, going out of town this weekend, studying for a Final Exam tomorrow, and some major changes at work, I'm going to talk about….the weather.

I read in a Travel Book to Ireland that the Irish love talking about the weather. While I've witnessed it myself, I must say that it's no different than Americans. Between Tornadoes, Hurricanes, Fires, Snow Storms of the Century (how many centuries are there in a period of five years?), Torrential Rains and other weather calamities there's not a day that goes by that I don't hear talk about the weather.

I come from a country where a weather-person is as useless as an umbrella in a tornado [I welcome other suggestions of "useless as…" from readers]. One knows that between May and October it does not rain. And between November and March it will rain every other week (and always without fail - on Purim when kids like to dress in costumes and you don't want them getting wet). Between April and May it's Khamsin winds coming from our neighbouring Egypt. There's no need to wake up in the morning and ask "what's the weather like today?" You wake up, you look at the calendar, you make a mental note of the month and dress up as appropriate for that month. Short sleeves between April and October. Long sleeves and a rain coat between November and March. Summer means - no rain. Automn means - drizzle every day. Winter means - rain and cold (15-17 celsius). Spring means - rain stops, sun comes out, nature blooms.

In fact, the weatherman concept in my country started less than 15 years ago. Yes, it's one weatherman. Danny. He's good looking and gained popularity among the women who watched the weather forecast just because he was the main star. Because com'n who needs to watch the weather forecast when it's the same as yesterday and the day before and the month before?!

So coming to a country where there's an actual TV station dedicated solely to the weather, I find it amusing that American Travel Books to Ireland would mention the talk about weather. If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black… In fact, I've noticed that every time Americans who don't know each other are put together in a room, it takes a mere minute before someone starts talking about the weather. It's the comfort blankie of American socializing.

It doesn't cease to amaze me that the weather (hurricane Dennis) catches the headlines of local newspapers and news reports for over three days, when this hurricane is five states south of us. I don't mean to belittle the calamity that a hurricane brings with it, but headlines? For three days? One would want to assume it's been a slow news week, but there's bombings in London, an evacuation of 20,000 people from birmingham, the upcoming Space Shuttle Launch **, and of course the Jewish Olympics opening - these all have to be more important than a hurricane that's old news by now, no?

As I write this, WL had to step outside and drive off to Home Depot.

I had been planning to write this post for a couple of days, making fun of the silly weather forecasts and how useless they are. Then something happened this morning that changed my mind - I missed the turn because the heavy fog obscured my landmark for making the turn (tall pedestrian overpass). Then I got to work to find out that the air conditioner compressor has frozen overnight (got a fascinating explanation from WL on how that happens due to high humidity). And the saddest news of all - someone I knew from a company we work with has tragically died in Hurricane Dennis. Ed Timmons of Constructware. May he rest in peace.

So all this bit me right back. Now I say, bring on those weather reports. Feed it to me directly through my veins every morning. I will no longer consider it useless piece of information. I may even consider turning on the Weather channel in the morning, just to ward off the evil eye.

As a side note about the weather, I thought this was quite appropriate: Fining weather-people who give wrong information. Moscow's mayor doesn't like it when it rains on his parade.

WL is back from Home Depot with two fans. I've determined that Americans are a bunch of wimps. A little heat and humidity, and they can no longer remain productive.

** [With all the talk about the weather, WL did not know about this major news item, and when we've had some problems with our dial-up connection in the trailer and we received an answer from our IT guy, WL wrote back : "Ok. So what exactly does that mean. I’m connected through the VPN padlock icon and Outlook still pops at me. I’d like to have this resolved before we launch the next space shuttle." I had to respond back, "You're being unrealistic!" ]

4 Comments:

  • Wow - I don't know where to begin commenting. I think 'weather talk' is conversation suicide. I KNOW everytime someone brings up the weather that I'm losing their attention, or just plain boring them.

    Sorry to hear about the Hurrican Dennis Victim.

    Care to comment on the Hurricane naming system? I hear they hold contests where you can enter your name to be a 'HURRICANE' 'HURRICANE', if you know what I mean.

    There's a weather-man in Philly who kept preaching about 'THE BIGGEST STORM TO EVER HIT THE PHILLY AREA' and had people freaking out for a weak, buying supplies, re-inforcing their homes, etc. When the day came, it was a beautiful and sunny day. He received so much ill-will (including death threats) that he promptly moved to a remote, upstate New York town.

    Last but not least, the weather channel is ALWAYS wrong.

    By Blogger aNON, at 12:18 PM, July 13, 2005  

  • Yeah, I know what you mean about knowing you've lost someone's interest if they start talking weather. Though I admit to using this tactic myself to make someone go away. ;-)

    The Hurricane naming system: My name starts with one of the last letters of the alphabet, so I don't foresee myself as "coming back" in the form of a hurricane.

    I think the only thing the weather channel can be relied on is showing weather reports from yesterday.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 12:36 PM, July 13, 2005  

  • When I first moved to Florida, I was fascinated by the endless interest in weather. Every TV news broadcast had a major segment devoted to whether it would rain the next day, and if it did, how much would it rain, and if it didn't how hot would it be? Despite the zfact that it was either hot and wet or hot and dry, the discussion went on all day long, and the Weather Channel did the same for both local and national weather. I reached the conclusion that the people who live here have nothing else in their lives to occupy their minds.

    I also like your concept of of a pre-resignation letter of resignation. Think how that could advance our society. A pre-divorce divorce. A pre-declaration of war declaration. There's no limit.

    MM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:06 PM, July 13, 2005  

  • Hmmm..I think I accidently came across a brilliant idea. I should trademark the concept of pre-... Imagine how this could advance us into the 22nd century?!

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 4:53 PM, July 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home