.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

7/05/2005

The Wall

So today I started my new jobsite, where I am indeed in charge of a beautiful wall. It's three meters wide by three meters height (I think) - located immediately behind the guards at the front entrance. So in actuality no one really notices it when they're too busy taking all their belongings out of their pockets prior to walking through the x-ray machine. Right now it's a beautiful shade of steel. I'm in charge of ensuring that the green granite replaces it.

Then there's a nice large emblem that goes on it, made of cast aluminum. Customised made to order. So we better get the size right the first time we order this.

I suggested to WL that we spray paint this wall with "Pink Floyd" style font stating "The Wall." WL is contemplating my suggestion. I think I'm going to like working with WL. He takes me seriously. As well he should!

My husband thinks we should post huge photos of the Beluga Whale, Humpback Whale, and a Blue Whale on it and refer to it as the Wailing Wall.

It's only fitting that I got back home today to two packages from my parents who had just returned from vacation in Berlin. The packages contained: 1. The critical headache pills to take care of my headache since June 21. 2. Two pieces of concrete labeled, marked and packaged from THE WALL !

I am extremely excited about these pieces of concrete, because we have a beginning of a Rock Collection, and we've been searching for something to make the centerpiece and main part of our collection, and I think this would be perfect! I love rocks that carry so much history behind them. Rocks with a meaning. Rocks that make people talk. And believe it or not, but these much anticipated pieces of concrete wall, had already created much conversation at our kitchen table at work when my parents first text messaged me to inform me they're in Berlin. It appears that at least two employees were in Germany of East and West - on opposing sides. Fascinating stories from the 80's.

I still recall the Pink Floyd live show at The Wall and watching my recorded video over and over that year, realising what a historical moment this was. A strange coincidence that only this weekend Pink Floyd has dazzled millions around the world with their reunion at Live 8.

Yes, there's something special about this week and the walls in my life.

4 Comments:

  • Hi:

    I think a rock collection with significance can be a fun thing. You gave me those stones from Masada which is one heck of a start. I also have some tiles from the original reception center in Ellis Island where my mother came when she emigrated to the US. Then there's a piece of Castle Blarney, but not the Blarney Stone itself; a chunk of coquina taken from an offshore reef near the rocket assembly building in Cape Canaveral; and a layer of sandstone taken from somewhere in the American SW desert.

    MM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:21 AM, July 06, 2005  

  • I like your pieces of collected rocks. This reminds me that I still owe you a couple that I picked up in our last trip at the Golan Heights. I'll need to put it in the mail for you this weekend.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 11:26 AM, July 06, 2005  

  • Does Wal Mart count?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:40 PM, July 06, 2005  

  • anonymous, absolutely not. I will accept no wars of malt whatsoever!

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 3:45 PM, July 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home