.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

7/24/2005

Summer's Heat

I love hot weather. And if it's hot & humid - all the better. I believe I must be the only person on earth to love hot and humid weather. Somehow it seems that every time I try and strike a conversation in the elevator about this beautiful weather, people begin to move to the furthest wall from me, as if I'm contagious.

I was never that child who said "I love the winter" when it was summer and "I love summer" when it was winter. I was always loyal to summer. I can't stand cold weather, wind, rain, and absolutely detest ice and snow. I get depressed when I know it's about to snow. But what I hate most of all about the winter is the dry weather, where I get static shocks all day long from touching people or anything metalic. There are days when I won't eat because I'm scared of the refrigerator. On occasions I've been known to schedule my bathroom breaks at work to coincide with someone else opening the door for me.

Now with cars - that's a whole new hate relationship in the winter. When I once told someone about the static shocks he didn't understand why that's such an issue. Then he walked me to my car (it was dark outside), and I had the key ready to put in the door, when this beautiful lightning came between the key and the car before I even touched it. He was in such a shock that he just stood there and kept asking, "What did you do???" Believe me, it was painful. And it's always painful.

So is it really a surprise that I love humidity?!

On my previous cars I resolved this problem with a nifty gadget that is very popular in Israel. It's a grounding strip you attach to the back of the car **. Only problem is that my car wasn't designed for this strip to be attached, so my husband had to go way under my car to stick somewhere there. For the next 8 years I drove with people honking at me and "warning" me that there's something hanging underneath my car ("yeah, I know, and did you notice the colourful reflectors on it?"). Once I told them it was a grounding strip they seemed rather amazed that there is such a thing.

And then I bought Mybrid. So I asked my husband to place my grounding strip underneath it, and found out there's no way it can be done. You see, the aerodynamics of the Hybrids means there's a flat metal panel underneath the car, all the way from front to back. So I'll have to suffer next winter. Or I may just stop driving during winters.

Why am I talking about the weather when there's so much else to talk about? Because there is one thing I don't particularly like about the summer. Actually, there are two. Mosquitoes and getting sunburnt.

And yes, sure enough after spending four hours at a company picnic, I got a "nice" sunburn (I really envy my dark skinned friends!). And no Aloe Vera in the world is bringing me relief right now. I just feel like crawling into bed, and sleeping this one out. But I can't - tomorrow is Mybrid's Fixin' Day.

Overall, this hasn't been the best of weeks. I could have done without this one.


** So I googled the words 'car grounding strip israel' and was baffled by all the top results speaking about ground assault on the gaza strip. Okay, that's NOT what I meant! One day, I'll have to dedicate a post to Google.

6 Comments:

  • Do you enjoy barely being able to breathe? I don't mind summer, but humidity (95% and up) is just too excessive. I also hate the fact that my glasses get fogged up by the humidity.

    Snow is not my ideal situation either. I don’t have the motor skills to walk on snow. At school, I used to accept the fact that I will fall about 6 times between any 2 destinations.

    I always get the ‘shock’ too, but for me it happens when I put my key into the ignition. I’ve learned to just hold on to the plastic part and avoid the metal part of the key.

    By Blogger aNON, at 11:37 AM, July 25, 2005  

  • Who needs breathing?! Such a useless activity, if you ask me. It's overrated.

    The fogging up of glasses is indeed a problem, which is why I've learned to trust the drivers to know that I'm about to cross the street and I can't see a #(@ing thing, so they should stop and let me get to my car as soon as possible.

    I wish the shocks could have been easily avoided by touching the plastic part. You see, I get shocked THROUGH everything. Meaning, I could wear a rubber suit and touch the car with my hip and still get shocked. Believe me, I've tried EVERYTHING.

    P.S. Don't get your hopes up about me wearing a rubber suit.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 11:52 AM, July 25, 2005  

  • Rubber suits can be fun. Trust me on this one.

    By Blogger aNON, at 6:56 PM, July 25, 2005  

  • We're all eagerly awaiting your story about rubber suits.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 7:29 PM, July 25, 2005  

  • I think a story about your hot hips would be just as good, but what do I know?

    MM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:43 PM, July 26, 2005  

  • TFL,
    If it's any consolation, I was in my rental car with a blown up fuse in 100 degrees (110 heat index, 120 heat-inside-car). No air condition. No radio. That ought to teach me a lesson about writing how much I love heat.

    MM, there'll be no story about my static magnetic hips. It's too painful to write about.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 9:19 PM, July 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home