.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

1/26/2006

It's NOT a vacation

After completing my itinerary for Australia and showing it to coworkers and friends I've been informed that a clarification is in place.

This is not a vacation. It's a trip!

Here's the thing - if I'm going to spend this much money on flying somewhere that I've never been to, I'll be darned if I'm going to sit still and "take a vacation." I could do that HERE at home. I don't need to spend thousands of dollars for THAT. No, siree. If I'm going overseas, to an exotic place like Australia I'm going to put in every effort possible to see everything there is to see in that country that's worth the flight ticket and then some!

It's a trip of a lifetime and I have no intention at staying in the hotel and doing nothing. That'd be a waste of time and money.

I've had many months and years where I was forced to "rest" at home and do nothing. Now that I'm capable of doing more, I'm going to take advantage of every moment. Because I'll get enough of this "rest and take vacation" when I'm in my 80's and can't move. As long as I can physically travel, I plan to use and abuse my physical right to do so.

And when I turn 80 and forced to stay home and rest, I'll have the memories of a lifetime from travelling everywhere I could and seeing everything there was to see in every city I go to.

Life is too short to rest and take it easy. Way too short! I want to create memories now. Something to live off when I'm in a nursing home typing memories on my blog.

So yesterday I bought a small carry-on duffle bag, nice bright orange-sand colour. Kipling. With the little cute monkey that sucks on his finger. I LOVE that bag! It's almost the colour of my favourite drink - Fanta orange.

I'm not packed yet, because my husband does the packing (to preserve peace at home and to reduce his stress levels of watching me pack, I leave it for him). But everything is arranged on the floor in the living room next to each luggage (London and Australia). This morning I added a small note with a two sided arrow identifying the very clear separation line between stuff to go to London and stuff to go to Australia. I hope the wind doesn't blow the note and all my stuff gets shipped to the wrong country.

I'm stressed to the Nth level, but I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to rest on the flight tomorrow night.

I'll try to post one more time before leaving. Hey, it's Friday tomorrow!

1 Comments:

  • Have a great time and only come back when you've seen everything there is to see. And take pictures! As much as you can carry.

    This is the reason. You said "And when I turn 80 and forced to stay home and rest, I'll have the memories of a lifetime from travelling everywhere I could and seeing everything there was to see in every city I go to."

    The only thing I retain from my past is the wonderful memories of the traveling I've done. I look at the photos (real pictures, not electronic) and I can be alive all over again. Nothing beats it.

    Australia is a big place, with more natural wonders than you can count. Bring me back a memory.

    London? Well, it's the only place I've been to over and over and over again, and I'd go in a flash if I could. My son lives and works in England now, so I have faint hopes that if I can ever travel again I'll have a place to go to, but it relly doesn't matter. Go anywhere!

    Enjoy yourself until you can't get up from under the table anymore.

    Mtrain

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:57 PM, January 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home