.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

8/19/2006

I miss the Israeli humour

One of the biggest things I miss about Israel is the Israeli humour. There's something very special and unique about it, and I have not come across this type of humour anywhere else in the world. I'm going to post something that had me laughing out loud at work the other day. It may not make anyone else laugh, but I thought I'd share with you some insight into the world of Israelis.

So on Google News (The Israeli version) there was a link to this news item:

On September 11, 2005, British newspaper The Guardian underwent a redesign
which included a new look for its front page.
On May 30, 2006, Israeli newspaper
Hazofe redesigned its front page. Now it looks like The Guardian’s:

This was posted on someone's blog, and somehow it had gotten into the news item on Google Israel. So you look at it, make your own judgement on it, and move on. Right? Not, if you're Israeli. If you're Israeli this is a chance in a lifetime to shine and bring out the best in you.

I bring to you the translation to a variety of Hebrew comments posted in response to the above "revelation."

  • What are you talking about? How can you even compare? In The Guardian everything is written left to right, and in Hatsofe it's right to left.
  • Fucking cool! Did you notice this yourself?
  • I wonder what The Observer looks like?
  • Are the contents similar, too?
  • Very funny, soon you're going to tell us that HaAretz is copying The Herald Tribune...
  • How did The Guardian know what they'll write in Hatsofe eight months later? Prophecy I tell ya.

1 Comments:

  • I've wondered about the Israeli sense of humor for many years. It seems to be missing. They used to be the source of most of the wisecracks, jokes and clever sayings that made the rounds, mostly literate and intelligent. Now, There's not much funny about what they have to say. Of course, the situation is not conducive to much Ha-ha" but they have become too serious for me.

    Mtrain

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:36 PM, August 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home