.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

11/13/2006

The challenges of my job

I've tried not to discuss my job on this blog because I know people have gotten fired over things they wrote in their blogs about their job. But I don't think I'd get fired for writing this post. Or at least I hope I don't.

So here's a description of one of the four projects I'm managing (actually there are more than that, but I like only four of them).

Imagine a long garage. Attached to the garage is an office building. Five floors. Major rains fall down in June, and through some very poor construction, the office building is flooded inside. So the top management decides - "we'll replace the carpet." Building's occupancy is about 80%. There are no temporary offices to move the people to until carpet replacement is complete. The project manager from my company decides to phase it: move half the floor to one side, carpet it, move them back, and carpet the other side. For a couple of months she plans the phases, has the people's names on a spreadsheet, everything is ready to roll. Then in a class act of work ethics she resigns.

She leaves the work to my boss, who in turn tries to convince my client to let me manage this project. My client refuses to let me go because I am essential to the other projects. So my boss finds two other managers from another area office and sends them over. Then he hires a third for some night shifts. Within a couple of weeks, my client is absolutely furious over the mess of all the planning. But the client doesn't realise that this is the mess left over by the employee who resigned. The blame game begins, and one employee loses his position and sent back to the office. Meanwhile, I get pulled over to manage the project because it's not going well.

I'm getting tired of covering up for someone else's screw ups and never getting recognized for it. I'm tired of working in the background to get things done right and someone else getting the thank you for a job well done. Things will need to change and soon. Because dog damn it, I've had enough of working 12-14 hour days and if I see my co-workers taking one more day off and charging the company for work time, I swear I'm going to say something to them, because it pisses me off that I work so hard while they take time off.

1 Comments:

  • Unfortunately, that happens everywhere. I decided years ago that I would join the ranks of the Terminally Incompetent and suprisingly enough, I have been moving up the Corporate Ladder ever since. Oh, and I am doing that by barely working at all.

    Of course, I am in Utah.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:10 PM, November 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home