.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

5/20/2007

Some people say the darndest things


I have Crohn's Disease. I've mentioned it on this blog before. I never wanted it to be a main part of my blog because it doesn't define who I am. But sure, sometimes it does feel like I'm consumed by it. Like when I decide that Pistacchios are the next best thing next to sliced bread, and I eat them as if there's no tomorrow, only to end up in crippling pains unable to get out of bed for three days. I learn lessons the hard way, what can I say.

But here's something not about me, but about an extremely couragious boy who's 13 years old, and has one of the most severe cases of Crohn's I've ever come across. He's broken his limbs so many times, that your heart breaks just hearing about it. He's on numerous medications to treat not only his Crohn's, but Osteoporosis, Arthritis, and a number of other health problems that no other 13 year old knows of. He's been hospitalized most of the past two years. Been in a body cast because of all his broken bones like that one time he took a shower. His daily nutrition goes through a tube that he inserts inside his nose. Here's a story relayed by his mother:

We are shopping in Kohl's and a cashier says loudly enough to attract negative attention, "Hey, is that thing yours?" My son looks around and points to himself as she nods yes and again loudly asks " is that thing yours?" My sons replies, " Well, lets see, it's in MY nose. No , it is not mine. I heard it is the latest in fashion and I saw a kid walking the store with it. I pulled it from his nose as I thought it would look better in mine and stuck it in." I died laughing. Clerk was mortified and I about pissed my pants. I wish you could hear the voice intonation as it was not rude just perplexed and matter of fact and sooooooo stoic.


Yeah, people say the darndest things and they just never seem to get it. Some other comments I've had to deal with:

Mybrid: "Living with Crohn's means constant diarrhea. Running to the bathroom 10-40 times a day."
Clueless person: "Diarrhea? Oh! I've had that once!!!"

Mybrid: "With Crohn's, I can't eat vegetables and fruits."
Clueless person: "So why don't you just take a vitamin and get cured?"

Mybrid: "I have a handicapped placard."
Clueless person: "But you look perfectly healthy and you can walk!"

Mybrid: "I lost ten pounds last week."
Clueless person: "Lucky you! I wish I could lose that fast. Count your blessings."


Now if you think that these remarks are solely from clueless people who do not work in the medical field, try calling a primary physician's office in a new city.

Mybrid: "I'm looking for a primary physician who's familiar with Crohn's, because I have a very complex case of it."
Nurse: "Ma'am, you need a G-A-S-T-R-O-E-N-T-E-R-O-L-O-G-I-S-T."
Mybrid: "I already have a GI doctor. I don't need one. I need a primary physician who's familiar with Crohn's, so when I catch a cold he doesn't give me the wrong medicine."
Nurse: "All our doctors know how to treat a cold."
Mybrid: "No, you don't understand! I'm looking for someone who has other patients with Crohn's and will not waste my time, nor will I waste his time, with the mysteries of the numerous symptoms this disease comes up with."
Nurse: "Ma'am, I cannot tell you about our other patients because that is confidential information."
Mybrid (losing patience): "Ok, can you just ASK a doctor there if they have anyone who's closely familiar with Crohn's disease?!!!"
Nurse: "Let me take your name and number and get back to you."

Nah, never heard back from her. I went through this routine at least a handful of times in my life, looking for a dermatologist, looking for a Rheumatologist, looking for an Oncologist. List goes on. Every single time I get the stupid response, "ma'am, you need to see a Gastroenterologist."

Ok, listen to me you damn mormons, if I've lived with Crohn's for over 25 years, wouldn't you think I'd know by now which doctor I need to see?! Just DO what I tell you and quit showing your ignorance!!!

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • Funny thing about Dr's. They know medicine but they don't know me. I never take a Dr's recommendation at face value. They always get pissed when I question them or even tell them "no, we are not going to do that." They get very indignant, but I figure this is my body and I know it about as well as anyone.

    By Blogger Mike, at 10:36 PM, May 20, 2007  

  • I've been through over 50 doctors in my life. I stay with those that do what I tell them.

    The one who lasted the longest claims he's not my doctor but my agent. I'm his client. Whatever I want, that's what he'll do. This of course is part of his understanding that Crohn's patients are the most educated patients of all.

    He's been my doctor for 14 years. Sure, he screwed up once or twice, but out of all the doctors he knew how to backtrack with dignity.

    You're right, Mike, you know your body better than any doctor out there. And when your body tells you a Gin is overdue, listen to it.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 10:44 PM, May 20, 2007  

  • Them dang ignorant folks, they always put their foot in it! So umm what's Crohn's again? Just kidding. Thanks for the comments dude, it was nice to get some kind of feedback and I see you've promoted me to the top of your favourite blogs list!
    I've never been at the top of any list in my life except when its just alphabetized or numerical, so yay for me! But anyways hope you're feeling better (if you weren't when you wrote this) and that you got that ever elusive primary physician.

    By Blogger The Hard-working Slacker, at 5:21 AM, May 22, 2007  

  • That must suck! I worked in neuro healthcare for over 11 years and I know how ignorant medical professionals can be. They get so caught up in their own specialty, it's like a complete overload if you hit them up for something completely in their realm of responsibility but not in their specialty.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:09 PM, May 22, 2007  

  • Mybrid: "I lost ten pounds last week."
    Clueless person: "Lucky you! I wish I could lose that fast. Count your blessings."


    I'd want to strangle that person. Would that be considered murder?

    Mybrid: "Living with Crohn's means constant diarrhea. Running to the bathroom 10-40 times a day."
    Clueless person: "Diarrhea? Oh! I've had that once!!!"


    Diarrhea three times in a day hurts like a mother f*****. I can't imagine even having it more than five times a day.

    I actually have before twice, when I had intestinal parasites. Not fun. But there's drugs for that. My deepest sympathies for anyone who has to live with that continually. Not fun.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:35 PM, May 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home