.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

11/22/2005

Break-in News

Friday morning as I was heading out the door to go to work I noticed my purse wasn't where it normally lies. The first thought that came into my mind - maybe I forgot it at the restaurant the night before. A very unlikely scenario because I had never in my life lost my purse/cellphone or anything else more expensive than an umbrella or one glove. I drove off to the restaurant and found out they only open at 4pm, so I drove to work and called the restaurant every half hour.

At 2pm I got the manager on the phone and she said no one turned in any purse and she asked the manager the previous night as well (her husband), and nothing was found.

So I called my husband and he suggested I look in one more unlikely place at home - the island in our kitchen (yes, I already checked the refrigerator in case I placed my purse inside instead of the left over food from the dinner). So I rushed home (half hour drive) thinking I'll get the purse, get back to work, and carry on with life.

Bear in mind, my husband was headed for another one of his Jeep trips for the weekend. So he couldn't help me out much.

I got home, didn't see my purse on the island and decided to check the basement, in the off chance that maybe just maybe my stupid dog dragged it downstairs (not a chance, because he's NEVER dragged anything that isn't his anywhere in the house). I got to the basement and noticed my husband's laptop bag laying on the floor and some disks next to it. I went back upstairs and called him to ask why he needed a laptop for his Jeep trip. He answered, "I don't know what you're talking about! My laptop is downstairs." I ran back downstairs and through a frantic exchange of questions and answers we realised someone broke into our house while we were asleep!

Mid-conversation I noticed the metal ladder underneath our deck that was used in the crime. My purse and my husband's laptop were stolen. I called the police, filed the claim, hosted the crime lab officer for finger printing, cancelled my credit cards, got a new driver's license, took some cash out of the bank, called for replacement of insurance cards, changed passwords, placed a fraud alert through Equifax ,called a friend, had 50 conversations with my husband, had a friend pack up my laptop and papers from work and bring it home, stayed at a friend's house this weekend ('til my husband returned from his Jeep trip).

My husband scheduled for our security company to come by and install more sensors and upgrade our system.

It's been an exciting weekend, what can I say. I'm still recovering.

Dog spent the weekend in the dog house, and I threatened him with replacing him with a rottweiler. This damn dog sleeps all day, he better be awake during the night and wake me up. No, instead this stupid dog barks at anything suspicious when we're awake, but barks at nothing when we're asleep.

I still feel unsafe in my own home and keep sending the dog before me to bark at anyone suspicious in my house. And I'm still fighting both my husband and my mom over another break-in-related issue which I prefer not to mention on my blog. But this has caused me to spend my free time crying and I'm all depressed about it. After doing fairly well during the weekend I'm finally breaking up.

I've never had something like this happen to me. While I'm taking it a lot better than my husband, I'm still quite stressed about it. Just thinking that this happened while we were in the house, or that this could have happened between 5am and 7am, after my husband left for work, and I was in the shower - just scares the hell out of me! And we thought this was the safest neighbourhood. All our neighbours are shocked and amazed that this happened right there in our back yard.

I can give everyone lots of advice on what to do so this never happens. But until it happens to you - you won't do as I say anyway, would you?!

Right now I'm thankful for having the most wonderful friends on earth who were there for me when I was completely alone and needed their help in dealing with this. If it weren't for them, I can't imagine how I would have handled it. So this is my public thank you to three very special friends - you know who you are. You mean the world to me! (even more than that stupid dog I used to love and feel like going out-back to shoot him for betraying me like this).

4 Comments:

  • That's pretty scary!! Dunno what to say. Wish you all the best for the future and hopefully nothing this tragic will happen again.

    By Blogger Aftab Iqbal, at 12:32 PM, November 22, 2005  

  • Your dog needs to be fired. Tell him that he's failed you and you'll have to hire another dog. Man, can't believe he slept through it.

    Sad that happened to you, and when you were describing all the things you had to do...:(

    By Blogger The Zombieslayer, at 9:34 PM, November 22, 2005  

  • A terrifying experience when you think of it happening while you are in the house with nothing but a pussycat dog to defend you. Did the police find out how entry was made? Did you change your locks? You did all the right things about preventing identity theft, so that helped, but it doesn't make you feel any more secure. Did your husband actually go away for the weekend after this happened and leave you alone?

    mtrain

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:17 PM, November 22, 2005  

  • Aftab: No bodily injury and no bad memories - lots to be thankful for.

    ZS: My dog is in the doghouse and has received multiple threats of being replaced with a rottweiler.

    mtrain: We know how the entry was made (though I can't write it in my blog). No need to change the locks because they didn't steal the keys. My husband went away BEFORE we found out about this. He left Friday morning and I found it out Friday afternoon. He did make a u-turn when I first called him, but I told him to stay there and enjoy his weekend. It's not like he could have done anything anyway. And I had an awesome weekend at my friend's house. So everything's fine.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 7:30 AM, November 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home