.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

10/31/2005

What I believe

When I volunteered at the USO for seven years, I was told to be careful when discussing three topics with the sailors who come to town: Religion, Politics and money (or was it something else? I forget). Of course I engaged only in conversations dealing with religion and politics because I definitely didn't know anything about money at the time.

So this blog had taken a turn into those forbidden topics and look what happens, everyone comes to visit as if I were discussing money.

Ok, that wasn't my intention. I use this blog as an outlet to vent and post my rants, not a place to argue or engage in preparations for a full blown World War III. Heck, I'm a freaking pacifist. Or at least I'd like to be. So my apologies to the audience and commentators for causing any frustration or anger towards others. I did not mean to cause a rift in this blog world. I like people to get along.

I'm not a religious person. I'm Jewish. Or as my co-worker, WL refers to my tribe - "You're not foolish, you're not sheepish, you're not Catholicish, you're not Muslemish, you're ...Jewish." As he lifts his hand and shakes it slowly, "You're somewhat of a Jew.... Jewish." [And this is the person who just proposed to his Jewish girlfriend. I wish him MAZAL TOV!]

Being Jewish means I belong to the Jewish Nation (which could open a whole new war on my blog, but for now, we'll just leave it at that). I consider myself an apathetic agnostic Jew. Or in better words: "Don't know, don't care, if there is a God - there's only one."

I believe that people on earth are divided to two major types (plus another million sub-types): religious and non-religious. I believe that some people were born into the wrong type and would be better off switching considering their personality and human nature. So some people could benefit from a structured way of life and guidelines that religion provides, and some people could benefit from a non-structured life where they don't end up following the wrong leader blindly.

I have people in my family who have turned from being atheists into religious, and vice versa. They all made the right choice in my opinion. It was the right choice for them.

I disagree that without religion there'll be no guidelines to live our lives. There's one guideline I need as an Agnostic person - don't do unto others what you don't want done unto you. It's a very simple guideline and pretty much defines all morals that should be maintained. It defines what is considered "wrong" and what is considered "right." You don't like people to lie to you - don't lie. You don't like people to kill you - don't kill. You don't like people stealing your stuff - don't steal. Very very simple concepts. Everything else can then fall into the category of morally acceptable by the majority in the place where you live. If you live in a country where it's okay to give bribery - then it's not an issue. If you live in a country where it's okay to belch out loud - then it's not an issue (but damn it, lay off the garlic when you do!).

I have many friends who are religious and have told me that I come across more spiritual than themselves. I'm not too sure what "spiritual" really means. I only know that I don't need a God in my life to do the right thing. I don't need to blame God for everything gone wrong. I don't need to bless God for anything that's right. I can take responsibility for the wrong and the right without a God entering the formula.

This isn't to say that I think any less of those who choose religion, and this isn't to say I disagree with their choice. To each his own. As long as they don't judge me, or force me to live their way - I'm fine with it.

I could write another long thesis on religion, but this is in a nutshell.

Next post will be about "money."

Or not.

4 Comments:

  • I understand...sorry...u should have told me u were feeling uncomfortable..i would have stopped right there and then.So as from now, I stop until you give me permission otherwise! Ha ha...money...that would be another high audience yeilding topic!!Lolz

    By Blogger Aftab Iqbal, at 10:43 PM, October 31, 2005  

  • Aftab, please, no need to stop or ask for my permission to post comments. That defeats the purpose of a blog. I just felt uncomfortable for causing my friends anger/frustration.

    Money - definitely a better topic. ;-)

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 5:28 AM, November 01, 2005  

  • southerngirl, thank you for the encouraging comments. While it wasn't my intention to launch into a discussion, I'm glad it became that. I've learned a lot from it myself. It's nice to be challenged to learn more and read more.

    I think I'm ready for some light hearted posts...

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 8:42 PM, November 01, 2005  

  • Well, I think you've heard me say this before but I avoid religious discussions. Very interesting what you wrote though. Looking forward to the money one. ;)

    By Blogger The Zombieslayer, at 8:59 PM, November 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home