.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

3/15/2006

It's party time!

Yesterday and today was our Jewish holiday of Purim. If you're familiar with the Book of Esther, then that's what this holiday is all about.

For those who like drinking, this is THE holiday. You are required to drink until you are drunk enough where you cannot tell right from wrong. For those among you who are too lazy to click on the link above, here's the exact extent of your drinking allowed on this holiday:

We are also commanded to eat, drink and be merry. According to the Talmud, a person is required to drink until he cannot tell the difference between "cursed be Haman" and "blessed be Mordecai," though opinions differ as to exactly how drunk that is. A person certainly should not become so drunk that he might violate other commandments or get seriously ill. In addition, recovering alcoholics or others who might suffer serious harm from alcohol are exempt from this obligation.

This is a particularly fun holiday for kids because they put on costumes for three days and go to parties and parades in town.

I decided to share with you some family photos of my crazy family and what they decided to wear this holiday. So here's my sister-in-law dressed as an angel, and my three favourite kids in the entire world!!!


The youngest boy, 10, dressed here as a Scottish girl is the most popular kid in class, so he can afford to dress up like this, knowing it'll get everyone laughing so hard they'll be booking tickets to Scotland next week.
My beautiful niece who has all her costumes made by my father, asked him this year to make something for MISS FRANCE. So he did.
Yes, that sash says "Miss Baggeutte" and that's what she's holding in her hand.

In our usual tradition of celebrating Jewish holidays according to the motto "We fought, we won, let's eat" I need to explain the food of the holiday called Hamentashen in Yiddish, but called Ozney Haman in Hebrew. The link above gives you the explanation:

Among Ashkenazic Jews, a common treat at this time of year is hamentaschen (lit. Haman's pockets). These triangular fruit-filled cookies are supposed to represent Haman's three-cornered hat.

Ok, this isn't completely correct. Yes, it's triangular and fruit filled (poppy seeds are traditional filling!), but it most definitely does not represent Haman's hat! In fact, the literal translation of what this food below is called is - Haman's ears! And I don't need to explain to you what the black poppy seeds represent. Over on the right side you will see the store bought poppy seed filled Hamentashen. On the left is what they SHOULD look like and what they typically look like in Israeli stores.

I wish there was a way to send everyone a taste of these hamentashen's over my blog. You'll just have to count on me to believe it's very good and children love it!

I really miss being back home now. It's the most joyous of all holidays and it's so much fun to see everyone dressed up in costumes and enjoy life. And here I am stuck at work where no one cares it's a Jewish holiday today.

2 Comments:

  • In order to send you cookies, I'll have to bake them first. In order to bake, I need the instructions to our new oven (read my post about the oven from two months ago).

    But, sure I'll make an effort sometime, eventhough Purim will be over by then.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 1:05 PM, March 15, 2006  

  • madman, I'm hurt!

    Why would you think that we need excuses to drink? ;-)

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 12:52 PM, March 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home