.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

3/21/2006

Lost and Found

I hardly ever lose anything. Misplace - sometimes, but not outright lose it where I never find it again. In my entire life I recall only a handful of occasions where I've lost something. When I was 9 years old on a three day train ride to Camp I somehow managed to lose my hat. I think it was an orange hat. I was probably supposed to lose it anyway, but the memory of losing my first item ever kinda traumatized me until I was 13 and lost my favourite Parker pen.

I recall putting it in my pocket and heading home. By the time I reached home it was no longer in my pocket. I walked back and searched the entire street and couldn't find it. My mom and brother weren't home, so I waited for them. For an hour. When they got home, that's when I started crying about my lost pen. I recall my brother laughing at me for waiting all this time without crying and starting to cry only when they got home. At the time I didn't think it made sense to cry alone because there was no one there to give me sympathy.

A year later I had lost a necklace in the swimming pool. It was given to me by my grandmother. It had my initial inside a shell made of gold. Beautiful design. Only problem - it wasn't the way I spelt my name. So it wasn't a huge loss for me, because I wasn't too proud to walk around with a Polish initial of my name.

I don't recall losing anything for a couple of decades later. I learned my lesson I suppose.

Then it happened - a trip to London two months ago (on the way to Australia). As I was sitting on one of those around-the-city tour busses, and being rushed by my dad to switch busses mid-route, I had lost my hat. It was in my coat's pocket. My dad was angry with me for losing it, but I've learned that some things are just not worth crying over, especially if they're replaceable.
All day long I told my mom to look around for people wearing my hat, maybe we'll find it. Then it happened - a day later, my mom lost her scarf. So now both of us were looking for someone wearing my hat and my mom's scarf. Never found the person.

I carried on to Australia, spent three weeks there, and returned through London. In between the hoppa bus from Heathrow airport to the hotel I managed to lose one glove.

So now there's someone out there in London wearing my hat, my mother's scarf and one of my gloves.

If anyone sees the person, please find out where they live so I can mail them my other glove.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home