.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

4/14/2006

It's all about Passover

Passover was awesome. I cooked for ten, after a brief calculation in my confused mind that figured two families should sum up to ten people. But I ended up with 14 people instead. I have a dinner table that can sit ten comfortably, so we managed to squeeze 12, and banished my husband and a friend's son to sit at the island in the kitchen. After scrambling for half an hour to find extra chairs in the house, we finally sat down - two families with four kids each, and my husband and I.

The meal lasted five hours. Would have gone faster if it weren't for the jokes that went around the table every few minutes. When I asked the 19-year-old to pick up the shank bone from the Seder plate. He had a bit of trouble picking it up with the aluminum foil underneath it, and my husband had to comment "how difficult can it be for a 19 year old to raise his bone?!!!" That's when the kid answered with the wrong reply..."but it's dripping!" Yup, we were all pretty much spitting wine out of our mouths with laughter.

Since four cups of wine are mandatory at the meal, and my guests have been to Seders before, somehow it still caught them by surprise when after the long meal, I opened the Haggadah (the book we read from at the Seder) and announced, "THIRD CUP!" Apparently, everyone were already done with the third and fourth cup during the dinner.

The fact that I failed to count my guests ahead of dinner should have been a clue that my brain wasn't all there this week. After we finished the desserts, I opened the refrigerator to look for something when I realised I forgot one main dish and the gravy for the chicken. Needless to say I wasn't too thrilled with myself. So I guess we'll be having carrots with chicken gravy for Easter Sunday.

After four loads of dish washing, and a visit to my relatives in DC yesterday, I'll get just enough sleep to be able to pack my clothes for two days and head down to Virginia. My husband's sister is running her first marathon in Charlotsville on Saturday morning and we were selected to give her the family support. I just wish it didn't have to start at 7:30am!

By the way, the lonely weekend a couple of weekends ago had a good ending to it. After finding myself driving around town and stopping at a side street to cry, I decided I should head back home before I do something stupid. I called my husband and told him I wasn't doing too well. He decided to leave early on Sunday morning and get back home. We ended up having an awesome dinner on Sunday with a particularly awesome "dessert."


Todah la'el hayom yom shishi (TGIF!)

2 Comments:

  • Sounds like a wonderful meal. I'm sorry I missed out on them when I had the chance years ago. Still, I ate my ceremonial matzo peacefully and thoughtfully, wondering if it would be all right to buy some halvah too.

    mtrain

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:22 AM, April 16, 2006  

  • mtrain, yes, halvah is definitely a good addition on top of matzah. So go ahead and splurge!

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 10:19 PM, April 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home