.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

3/24/2006

This is about Racism

After spending three weeks in Australia I realised what I really loved about that country. There are no racial tensions among the people. While the Aboriginals may have not received equal treatment until very recently, the Australian nation is making efforts at correcting this. Every so often, you hear some stereotypical opinions of the Aboriginals, but these are the type of stereotypes based on truths. Aboriginals are known to go on 'walkabouts.' They don't last long in a job. They like change. They move. That's just who they are. I saw far more respect for their culture, art and music than any other nation with a minority. There are museums all over Australia of Aboriginal art. There are shops selling aboriginal art and music.

The only comparison I can make with America is the native Indians. Indians today receive far more respect than any other minority that lives in America. That's my perception at least. While the blacks, no matter what their origin may be (African or born in the America for the past eight generations), receive no such respect.


Why am I bringing this up? Because a friend of mine, a black guy (and no, he's not an African-American, he's an immigrant from an African country), noticed a printed piece of paper that was anonymously placed in a common area at his workplace, in the US.

Now, in his office there are only two immigrants - himself and another one from Europe.

When you read what the printed paper, I'm hoping you will all be as appalled as I was at this outrageous show of racism in the workplace in the US. This really bothers me that in a country supposedly based on equal right and equal treatment for all humans, that immigrants and particularly blacks get treated as second class citizens. What really shocked me is that someone would do this to my friend who comes across far more intelligent and smart than any American I've ever met!

On a personal level I was upset at the reference to immigrants, as if we're all second level citizens in this country. We may contribute far more to this country than some slacker getting unemployment paychecks, and we may be paying our taxes, volunteering in the community, giving to charity - but no, we're not good enough for this President. We're just second hand citizens who should not be treated as equals.

You know what, if a celebrity makes a statement it doesn't make it right! Especially if it's a President. Your American presidents are just as opinionated as any asshole on the street. Their only qualification to be in their job is - they were luck enough to be born in the US. There is no other qualification from them - no degree requirement, no intelligence test, no IQ test, no social test. Yet, for some reason people believe that if a President says something it must be true.

So for all you racists out there - you're just a bunch of mindless followers who think that if President Roosevelt or President Nixon said it - then it carries weight. It's a pity you're too stupid to even understand how wrong you are in your judgement of others. I don't expect you to change. I don't expect you to even understand what is wrong with racism. Assholes remain assholes for life. I'm just upset I have to share this country with you.

This is what was printed on the paper:



"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin.
But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
"The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, or preventing all possibility of its continuing as a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities." "A perfectly stupid race can never rise to a very high place. The Negro, for instance, has been kept down as much by his lack of intellectual development as by anything else."
-Theodore Roosevelt


Todah La'El Hayom Yom Shishi

6 Comments:

  • All I can say after reading the note is: Doooooood WTF?!

    I never knew such a race would be allowed to even exist by either God or evolution! I speak of course about whitey, or more precisely the 'dumb whitey'. I know you won't take offense to that Mybrid as you're not stupid enough to know its NOT you!

    No one has any right to knock someone who's not of the same colour or background as him/her.

    Anyways to calm your understandable anger I suggest you should just take a breather and a step back and just understand that there has been, there is and always will be agression from all quarters of society against each other.

    Now to deal with it we must be patient and approach those who preach hate and not bother getting into shouting matches with them.

    Example at hand: Just cos' Bush and Co. shout the loudest doesn't mean they're right.

    Know that, and you'll have something along the lines of a cure for hatred.

    I'm sure you know all of this anyways!

    By Blogger The Hard-working Slacker, at 1:56 PM, March 25, 2006  

  • 3mr@n, I've come to realise that reacting to hatred by showing hatred is not the way. I just feel sad that such people exist. I feel sad that they're allowed to continue breeding and spreading their hatred to future generations.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 3:55 PM, March 25, 2006  

  • madman, in defense of 3mr@n's comment - he used it to emphasize the silliness of racism and using these deragotory words to describe another race.

    The reason he claimed I'd understand is because we've met in person and he's just about as whitey as my friends back in Israel.

    His post is about using colour to lump a group of idiot people.

    The point is - colour has nothing to do with it. Racists come in all colours. And we should abbolish them from society no matter where they originate.

    So yes, we are all in agreement.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 5:14 PM, March 26, 2006  

  • My brother taught in Canberra University and said that Australia's the most racist place he's ever been to. And he's lived in four continents.

    So maybe you must have had severely different experiences. I'm not at all doubting you, I'm just saying you must have had different experiences. I'm glad you had a wonderful time there though. Never been there myself, but spent a few weeks in NZ. Beautiful place.

    Australia had a complete genocide, something that happened rarely in recorded history. Every single last Aboriginal Tasmanian was killed, down to the last person. They like to sweep that one under the rug.

    As for racism, it's on its way out in this country. Racism exists everywhere, and as much as people will never admit it, America is about the most integrated places in the world. We like everyone here. It's just racists make good headlines.

    Heh, or maybe it's because I'm in San Francisco where if you're racist, you better either shut up or you better be able to run really, really fast.

    By Blogger The Zombieslayer, at 3:24 AM, March 29, 2006  

  • Sad. Sad. Truth.

    Racism is still very present in the US. It may be a little subtle now, because it is no longer institutionalize e.g. companies and schools are revoking this notion by highlighting they are equal opportunity employer and educational institution.

    But racism is more felt within the social atmosphere. And that is even worse, I think.

    By Blogger Kiss My Mike, at 11:11 AM, March 30, 2006  

  • Ditto on what Mybrid said about the point I was making with my comments. Granted I could easily be misconstrude as lowering myself to the level of those I am against by using the term 'whitey' but I'd like to think that those who read your blog can read between the lines.

    Anyhow I do apologize to anyone who might be offended by my usage of that word and to Madman of course.

    And ditto on what Madman said: 'Bigoted words perpetuate hatred'.

    By Blogger The Hard-working Slacker, at 7:38 PM, April 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home