.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

11/20/2006

Worst Week at Work

Last week is in close competition for the worst week I've had in my career, right next to that week when I had to stick labels on pamphlets identifying our new address for the main office, and next to that week when I had to file papers that belong to my boss into boxes going into archives.

If there's anything I can't stand that's doing meaningless work that will benefit absolutely no one in future. Answering the phones ranks right up there. I absolutely detest answering the phones at an office. I did it as a temp worker when I got out of high school. Since then I cringe every time I hear the same phone ring. I hate filing. I have a two foot pile of paperwork to file at work since May 06 and I can't seem to get myself motivated to do anything about it.

But last week was different. Last week was the type of a nightmare related to actual work. So it's not that I'm complaining about having gone through it, but rather complaining about all the factors that led to it.

Poor planning on behalf of all the project managers involved in this project led to the day from hell for three of us who were stuck picking up the pieces of this failed project. My client demanded a recovery plan in writing by today from my boss or my company would have been thrown off the job. My boss's recovery plan involves getting rid of yet another manager and taking charge of the project himself.

I'm furious over everything that has been going on. I feel frustrated that everything I'm doing out on site is completely invisible to my superiors. They have no clue what I've accomplished in a short amount of time (one week), versus what was never accomplished in the three months that this project was under someone else's control.

I can complain about it in my blog, but what good does that do me?! I'm not the type who can go bragging to the boss about my accomplishments. Men do that more successfully. Women expect to be appreciated without them having to shout out what they've accomplished. That's just embarrassing! I don't engage in bragging. I hate doing it!

I think I'm going to work on my resume now. It requires some updating.

3 Comments:

  • Sorry about your crappy week. I don't do filing either. As a matter of fact, a former co-worker of mine referred to my piles of paper as a "piling" system. I kind of like that concept.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:40 AM, November 22, 2006  

  • At least you don't have to work on the holiday, so it's not all bad. Hope that you and your husband, plus all the bloggers here, have a wonderful day, and I only wish the rest of the world could too.

    mtrain

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:56 PM, November 22, 2006  

  • mtrain, actually I AM working on the holiday!!! I had no choice. But at least I'm doing it at home.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 11:33 AM, November 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home