.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

6/10/2007

The amazing internet and a stunning discovery


Those of you who have been following my blog at least since January this year, have read my post about the Holocaust and how my grandmother survived. If you didn't catch that post, here's where you can read about it.

Some of you may not have gotten as far as the comments, but last month (that is five months after I posted about my grandmother), someone posted a comment on that post. And that is what prompted me to post an urgent request to the anonymous writer of that comment to email me immediately.

No where in my post did I mention my grandmother's first name. I only mentioned her last name and how she got it. And here was this comment written by someone in Colorado who knew my grandmother's full name - Maria Kozdrowicz. The comment shocked me.

I immediately went on eBay and put in the number mentioned and got the shock of my life. There it was - my grandmother's Polish Passport for sale on eBay!

I had never seen her passport before. Nor have my parents! I immediately called them while they were away from home on vacation and asked them if they know where her passport is. They had no idea, they've never seen it. When I told them the story they couldn't believe me. I told them it had her photo, her birthdate, her place of birth, and all the right stamps.

The seller was someone in my hometown of Haifa. A name we've never heard of. Because we were really worried about raising any alarms to him that would cause him to raise the price, I ended up buying the passport for the $45 he placed on it.

I received it this week. A piece of family history is now in my hands again. Along with a very important date stamp which my parents had forgotten - August 25th, 1957. The day they got off the boat in Haifa, Israel. The boat from Europe to Israel, finally making it back home after 2000 years in the diaspora. In two months they'll be celebrating 50 years in Israel.

The person who sold this passport did not answer any of my inquiries of how he got it. He's ignored my emails and requests. I will try one more snail mail effort before giving up.

If he knew the entire story behind this passport and the fake name on it, he would have asked for more money or donated to a museum. There's more to my grandmother's story than what I wrote. In June 1976, my grandmother's brother got on a flight from Tel Aviv to Paris. Yes, it was that flight. My great uncle was one of the hostages. That's an entire post in itself.
My grandmother's other brother received a medal of honour from General de Gaulle. Yes, another entry for a post. A third brother wrote a book about his survival at a Ghetto as a doctor, a book that I read once and will never forget (unlike hundreds of other books).

This grandmother is the mother of the painter whose paintings you've been seeing on this blog. And yes, she's the one with the talent and where it all came from.

I have the passport with me now. But how do I thank an Anonymous writer? How can I ever thank him for doing a random search on Google for my grandmother's name and coming across my blog and being gracious enough to put a comment? How do I tell him that he stumbled upon one of those fascinating stories and not just a passport for sale? How do I tell him that he helped a family close a chapter in its history?


My grandmother passed away almost ten years ago, of Alzheimers. May she rest in peace and may her life's memory live forever on this blog.






Labels: ,

13 Comments:

  • Mybrid, this post has me in tears. Tears of joy for the gift of your grandmother's passport. Tears of sadness for the atrocity that was/is the holocaust. Cleansing tears brought on by the sheer beauty that radiates from today's painting. And tears of relief for a happy ending to a story. Thank you.

    By Blogger Sara Sue, at 12:34 PM, June 11, 2007  

  • Sara Sue, sorry if I have caused you so many tears, but glad some of them were tears of joy.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 1:19 PM, June 11, 2007  

  • No sorry necessary. I think tears are cleansing, and you know how much I like clean things :)

    By Blogger Sara Sue, at 12:45 AM, June 12, 2007  

  • You going to make Mike's party tomorrow night? (see my site for details)

    By Blogger Sara Sue, at 12:47 AM, June 12, 2007  

  • Great post and great story Mybrid.

    By Blogger Mike, at 9:02 AM, June 12, 2007  

  • This is a stunning and beautiful story, thanks so much for sharing. In a blogosphere that shares all too much about the inconsequentialities of our daily rituals, it is great to read a post like this with substance.

    Please keep us posted with follow-ups or related posts. I'll be reading.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:14 AM, June 12, 2007  

  • What an amazing story! Thank you for sharing it.

    By Blogger bozoette, at 12:34 PM, June 12, 2007  

  • Wow!

    Just... well... WOW.

    By Blogger Janet Kincaid, at 9:26 PM, June 12, 2007  

  • Wow, that is something else! Glad it is with you where it belongs.

    By Blogger Chickie, at 10:09 PM, June 12, 2007  

  • Absolutely amazing! I am happy for you and your family. WHat in the world did we do without the internet?

    By Blogger Lavatory Lady, at 2:16 PM, June 13, 2007  

  • Thank you everyone for reading and commenting. I will post an updateg about this if I hear anything back from the guy who sent it to me.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 9:10 PM, June 13, 2007  

  • Ah yes, Operation Entebbe.

    Idi Amin is probably the most underrated evil tyrant in recent history, mainly because so few people know just how bad he was. Don't get me started about Amin though or else I'll never shut up.

    Wow, out of the fire and into the frying pan. Your family has survived some pretty bad history.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:28 PM, June 17, 2007  

  • Thats one amazing story and I must admit I haven't followed all your posts since January but what are the chances of your Grandma's passport floating around in cyberspace! I tell ya this Internet thing is almost too good to be true sometimes and thank goodness it IS true!

    By Blogger The Hard-working Slacker, at 6:17 AM, June 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home