.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

6/18/2007

What a nightmare


A couple of weeks ago I went to a local family doctor with the goal of setting up a file with him in case I ever need something from a local doctor and can't drive all the way to Maryland for it. An hour and a half of a visit, with tons of questions and a thourough examination. At a certain point, out of the blue, he started asking me questions that were totally unrelated to everything else I discussed with him.

I was supposed to rank the answers from 0 to 3. Zero being unlikely and 3 being very likely. After several questions he looked on his monitor and says, "you have one of the highest scores I've ever seen, I'm giving you a referral for a test."

At this point I no longer cared because after being diagnosed only a week earlier with yet another chronic illness, I was so grateful when he undiagnosed me, that I was willing to give him a go at a new diagnosis.

This weekend I spent the night away from my husband. I wish I could tell you all it was an exciting night with this fantastic new lover I found, but as you all know me, I lead a non-exciting life. I spent the night at a hospital in a sleeping lab. Apparently the doctor doesn't think it's normal to fall asleep when reading a boring book, watching a boring TV show, surfing the internet at work or riding in a car as a passenger. Obviously this doctor is so local that he's never had to commute from Maryland to Virginia through the DC beltway and the Wilson Bridge to fully appreciate how boring this traffic can be on any given day at any given time. The only point of interest that I wake up for are crossing the Wilson Bridge because I love watching the construction progress on it, and the Severn River bridge because I love imagining how some construction could improve traffic on it.

Honestly, I don't think my case is so unusual, I've seen numerous people fall asleep as passengers in the HOV lanes. And I'm willing to bet I'm not the only person who falls asleep after two pages in a boring book, or across the history channel on TV, or while reading my blog.

But like I said, I didn't mind this test. Until the morning after.

Like.Oh.My.Dog. Do they honestly think I can fall asleep with all those electrodes attached to my head, neck, ears, legs, finger, chest and abdomen? Oh and wait, did they really think I can have a good night's sleep with the camera watching me all night? And what about that flow of cold air at my face? Was I supposed to ignore it and manage to stay asleep? You've got to be kidding me! Needless to say, I didn't get a good night's sleep out of this test. And the nerve, they woke me up at 5am on a Sunday!

I won't know the results for another two weeks. But whatever the results are, I just really hope I don't have to go back and repeat this test, because that wasn't as much fun as I expected.

Of course as soon as the doctor told me I have a sleeping problem, I'm more conscience of it and can't seem to get a good night's sleep only to end up wiped out and exhausted during the day.

And that's my excuse why I haven't written this weekend in my blog. I'll try to come up with more creative stories in future.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • I'm awaiting your diagnosis anxiously ... I ALWAYS fall asleep while reading, I ALWAYS fall asleep while watching t.v. (part of why I stopped watching it), I hardly ever drive long enough to fall asleep in the car ... but I'm sure I could!

    Hope they come up with something that's completely manageable. My thoughts are with you!

    By Blogger Sara Sue, at 1:39 AM, June 19, 2007  

  • I'm wondering too what the diagnosis will be. I'm asleep in a car 2 minutes after it starts moving and any other time I'm still. I think I'm just storing up energy for when it's needed.

    By Blogger Chickie, at 10:56 AM, June 19, 2007  

  • Aha! So I was right! I'm not the only one who's always sleepy. I'm just the lucky one who got the referral.

    I'll definitely update on my blog what the diagnosis is. Unless it's something really really embarrassing that I best not share on this family blog, like this new thing called sexomniac.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 11:23 AM, June 19, 2007  

  • You sound normal. I almost always fall asleep within two minutes of lying down in bed and opening a book. There is something about being flat on my back and readi.... *snore*

    Oh! Hi. Sorry.

    I don't fall asleep in cars, but that has to do with an anxiety disorder that has me having irregular heartbeats and panic attacks when most other people are driving...

    What can I say? Most drivers are in-fucking-sane. This is why I don't fly anymore. Control issues? Moi???

    My new doc is giving me some new, cool pills. My new discovery is that if you have an HMO (as I did for 15 years) they don't like to give you pills, because they are paying for it all and get a little red mark every time they write a prescription.

    However, if you have an independent doc who takes your insurance plan, they are HAPPY to write pescriptions for all sorts of cool pills. Why did nobody tell me this before?

    By Blogger Forrest Proper, at 9:01 PM, June 19, 2007  

  • I fell asleep reading your blog, what was the end result? You a freak or asleep?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:58 PM, June 19, 2007  

  • Bailey, people who fall asleep reading my blog get an automatic referral to the lab. Get in touch with your doctor for a medical assessment of your problem.

    End results for me - in two weeks. Apparently, it takes that long to watch a video showing someone covered in a bedsheet above their head.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 9:38 AM, June 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home