.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

8/25/2005

Busy day

Thursday is always busy day. Day before Friday (when nothing gets done). So my apologies for this delayed Hebrew lesson. The fifth Hebrew lesson. How do I know this? Because Thursday is the fifth day of the week.

Yom Khamishi.

Alright, pronounciation of "kh" for Americans is a bit tricky. Imagine a piece of paper stuck at the rooftop of your mouth all the way in the back. Now try to cough it out by pushing air from your throat through the rooftop of your mouth. You should feel some minor pain and vibration at the rooftop of your mouth in the back when you pronounce "kh." This of course means, that when Israelis catch a cold and feel a sore throat they typically find it VERY painful to speak. That's why I love English when I have a cold. It's easier on my throat.

Khamesh means five in Hebrew.

Khamsa is a cultural symbol of good luck, showing an upside down hand. Khamsa of course is five in Arabic. So you just learned two languages in this lesson.

Khamsin is the name of the winds that hit Israel between April and May from the south. These are dry hot sand storms from Egypt. It's called Khamsin (Arabic for 50) because it lasts fifty days in a year.

Khumash is the Hebrew name of the Five Books of Moses.

The man standing fifth in line would say - ani khamishi.
The woman standing fifth in line would say - ani khamishit.

Pronounciation key:
khamiSHI
khamiSHIT
khuMASH
khaMESH
KHAMsa
khamSIN

Is anyone excited about tomorrow's lesson?

3 Comments:

  • You might have to have a sound file for "kh." I can't even pronounce some Spanish words, and Spanish is a lot more simple than Hebrew (or I'm used to it more).

    By Blogger The Zombieslayer, at 4:16 AM, August 26, 2005  

  • RJ, glad you're sticking to it, because the upcoming lessons are easy!

    ZS, I need to search for the sound file. I'll get back to you.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 5:15 AM, August 26, 2005  

  • Khamsa is a cultural symbol of good luck, showing an upside down hand.

    I went to that link. Nice jewelry, but then I had to close Firefox. I think I need more RAM in this laptop. Dang, I remember the days when 256 Mb of RAM was a lot. Or maybe I just have too much open and it wasn't the page.

    By Blogger The Zombieslayer, at 4:28 PM, August 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home