.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

8/23/2005

Lesson 2a

At Zombieslayer's special request, I hereby bring you translation to his pick-up line:

"Hey baby, your eyes sparkle like metal in a microwave."

Hey m'tooka, ey-naikh notsé-tsot kmo maté-khet b'microgal.

Hey - Hey.
m'tooka - comes from the word matok, which means sweet.
ayin - means eye. énayim means eyes. ey-naikh means "your eyes."
notsé-tsot - sparkle (in the plural feminine form, because eyes is a feminine word).
kmo - like.
maté-khet - metal.
b' - in.
micro - micro.
gal -wave.

Pronounciation key:
Hey m'tooKA, ey-naiKH notsé-TSot kmo maTE-khet b'MIcrogal.


I will now entertain any other requests for lessons in Hebrew, and will add them to this post as the comments are posted.
This is rapidly becoming a blog-at-your-request. This makes my life so much easier. No more hard work thinking what to post. I'll just accept any special requests from the audience.

Note to mtrain: I do have my limits! Don't push your luck.

ADDENDUM:

RockJock's mention of a preferred pick-up line is "Please bring me a cold beer":

Ta'v'ii li bira kara.

Ta'v'ii - bring (addressed to a female. Or tavi when addressing a male).

li - to me.

bira - ok, do I really need to translate this one?

kara - cold. (the adjectives in Hebrew always follow the noun).

Pronounciation key:

ta-V-EEE li BI-rah kah-RAH

Note: pronounciation on non-Hebrew words goes to the front of the word.

Cultural note: Israelis don't use the word "please." Deal with it.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home