.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

10/04/2005

Happy New Year

Today is the first day of the Jewish New Year 5766. According to the Jews the world was created 5766 years ago. Scholars are still debating how long was the first year. (In my opinion - but who's asking me - it was a very long year).

For those of you who are new to Judaism - we go by the lunar calendar. A day begins at sundown. Our new year began last night with a crescent moon. When it's a full moon, it's mid-month for the Jews. One holiday falls mid-month, on a full moon. But we have time for it. First we have five or six holidays prior to it.

Rosh Hashanna means Head of the Year. We celebrate by having a large family dinner, which begins by dipping a slice of apple in honey and wishing everyone a sweet new year. The Ashkenazi Jews prepare a head of a fish to represent the head of a new year. It's my brother's favourite, but apparently all Americans are disgusted by the idea of it. A typical New Year meal in Ashkenazi families will contain most likely chicken soup, chicken and some form of carrots. At the end of the meal a honey cake is served.

I decided to start a new tradition in the Rosh Hashanna dinner, acknowledging that I don't keep Kosher, and neither do any of my guests. And since no one likes the head of a fish, I substituted with the very non-kosher ... shrimps! My husband arranged them artistically on a plate to resemble a fish. In my opinion it looked more like Piranha. I'll have to post a photo later today. I had my mother laughing for several minutes when I called her last week to ask "how many shrimps fit in a head of a fish?" At first she had no clue what I was getting at, but once I explained it she couldn't stop from laughing. She thought it was a brilliant idea. And if I managed to make my mother laugh by inventing a new tradition, then this tradition stays - if only for the good memories it will bring me every year to hear her laughter.

Right now I'm so full from last night's dinner that I'm considering going through Yom Kippur today and getting on with the 25 hour fasting right now. But for the sake of tradition, I suppose I'll have to wait ten days for that. Of course my other choice is to convert to Islam today (next post to follow).

Rosh Hashana marks the beginning of our ten days of atonement. I'll explain this as we get closer to Yom Kippur.

I had an absolutely wonderful time last night with my best friend, Julie, her family and another new couple which she invited. I consider a good dinner when everyone at the table is laughing and having a good time. Who cares about the food?! It's all about the company you're with. It's all about friends.

For my non-Jewish friends, Jewish friends, and Jewish-wanna-be friends - I wish you all Shana Tova U'mtuka - a Good and Sweet Year.

שנה טובה ומתוקה

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home