.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

12/02/2005

'Tis the season

My family-in-law has a new holiday tradition. Every holiday when we visit, my mother-in-law hugs me and tells me I'm her favourite daughter-in-law, and in return I catch her cold. This has been an ongoing tradition for the past five years. I'm beginning to wish I wasn't her favourite daughter-in-law. There's just too much responsibility involved.

I cannot stand catching a cold. It'd be fine if it was short-lived like most people, but living with an auto-immune disease means that every cold takes me three to four weeks recovery. I cannot recall ever making someone else sick, seems that I'm always the last on the totem-pole to catch it from others. So maybe by the time the virus strain gets to me it figures how to remain active for a longer period. The other option is that my body is so friendly to viruses that it builds a settlement and feels at home and only a full scale military invasion could get rid of it.

So I engaged in an all-out war on it yesterday and did the unthinkable - I mixed medications. Started out with one brand in the morning and proceeded with another. I can excuse this lapse of judgement by saying I was drugged. Well apparently, mixing medications plus a measure of added stress caused me an internal bleeding. I'm fine now, just a little shocked at how fast my immune system gets out of whack. As much as I "love" that spacy feeling after taking medication (I suppose that's what alcohol does to a person), and as much as I hate coughing, I think I'll have to stop my all-out war and engage in mini-battles instead.

The good news - I'm past my first week with this cold (two more to go!) and today is Friday!

Toda la'el hayom yom shishi.

2 Comments:

  • Yeah having a cold sucks! And the picture ure painting sucks more...And mixing medicines wasn't something smart...best of luck for the rest of the two weeks..lolz.And yeah why don't u take antibiotics prophylactically (too hard for me to spell) before catching that cold of urz from ure in- law?

    By Blogger Aftab Iqbal, at 9:48 PM, December 02, 2005  

  • favourite?

    What's with the English spelling?

    I'm the opposite of you, I guess. I never get sick. Maybe once every two or three years.

    Maybe you should wear one of those body condoms like in Naked Gun when receiving hugs.

    By Blogger The Zombieslayer, at 2:40 PM, December 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home