.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

2/14/2007

Packing and Moving

We're in the process of settling down in the new house. Moving was quite an experience. Between one guy smelling of alcohol, one smelling of cigarettes, one 60 year old with earphones on, and one who couldn't speak English - we managed to get almost everything moved. Only problem was - we weren't quite ready for them. I figured that in the three hours they move boxes to the truck, I'll have enough time to pack the bedroom stuff (clothes, bathrooms). In the usual twist of events, the movers decided to start with the bedroom!

My husband's solution - lay out a bedsheet on the floor, and throw all the clothes on it. Then when they tilted the closets and suggested that we dust the top off, my husband decided it was a smart idea to dust it all off on the clothes that were laying on the floor. I could have killed him!

After three hours of loading boxes and furniture on two trucks, we drove off to the new house. One of the closets we have needed some extra care, because the movers alerted us that there's a 15% chance it won't make it. I wasn't overly worried about it and told them to go ahead and take it. It came off the truck fine, they made it around the corner perfect, they put it down on the floor in our bedroom just the way I wanted, and then my husband says, "we need to shift it an inch to the left" as he grabs it with both his arms, and kicks the bottom part in order to move it to the left. Sure enough, that's when it breaks! Not knowing whether to laugh or cry I berated him - "you couldn't wait for someone ELSE to do it?!?!"

My coworker told me two days before the move that I should probably put up the bed first, put the bedsheets on, because I'll be relieved by the end of the day that I have the bed made. I told her it's a brilliant idea. Only problem was ...my husband.

The movers finished offloading all the boxes and furniture, and just as they left with the truck, my husband looks at me and says, "Ummm...I forgot the wrench and mattress pump in the other house!" I swear to dog, killing my husband has gone through my mind a dozen times that day.

So off we take our dog in the car, drive back an hour, to pick up the wrench and pump and head back. By the time the bed was made it was midnight. The following day was even more exhausting as we drove back to the old house to finish packing all the clothes we left on the floor, and miscelleanous items. To be exact - 30 boxes worth!

Positive outcome - we threw away 25 large bags of trash from this move. And we have a car load of stuff to give to charity. So that's good news.

Then by sheer fate, the day after we moved - a snow storm hit us. So today I couldn't go to work. I tried. I really did. My car made it as far as twenty yards from the house, before I had to call my husband to get back home and pull me back into the driveway. Darn Hybrids! They're so freaking light that they have no traction whatsoever.

We're slowly getting to know the neighbourhood and the places to eat. I LOVE this place!!!

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! And MP - thanks for calling to wish me a Happy Valentine's. You made my day, "sweetheart"!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Moving is apparently one of the traumatic experiences one can have. From my own experience last year, I'd say if anywhere near half your stuff actually made it, intact, to the new place, and nobody actually died or was hospitalized, you're ahead of the average.

    By Blogger Forrest Proper, at 3:31 PM, February 15, 2007  

  • Colonel, I've been lucky enough where nothing was broke or lost. Unless of course you count the one piece of closet that my husband broke AFTER it moved. I packed everything so religiously well that there was no way they could break it if anything happened to fall. Not only that but I picked movers without insurance! So I couldn't risk anything breaking to begin with.

    Now the biggest issue is unpacking!

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 7:42 AM, February 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home