.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

1/25/2007

The unique talent



There's something unique about my father's drawings. I've been uploading them for the past couple of weeks, and I will continue to upload them even after revealing what it is, because once you find out the truth you'll be even more amazed at his talent.

These two drawings are sort of a hint about it. Can you guess it yet?




I hope these two drawings don't shock any of my audience. I grew up with these drawings in my house, so I'm fairly used to seeing nude paintings. My dad likes to paint nude women. Of course, it's no surprise that I got some of his talent and feel equally attracted to drawing nude men.

My dad and I have identical tastes in art, which makes for a very special relationship between us. He's bought me all my jewlery and all the paintings hanging on the walls of my house. Almost all the art books on my bookshelves are from him. We both adore M.C. Escher and worship Salvador Dali. We love surrealism.

But there's something special about my dad's talent, that I don't know of any other painter who can proudly display it on their resume. You see - my dad is ... colour blind! He does not know what the colour green is. The two differently coloured words in the previous sentence are the same colour to him. He cannot drive in a city where the traffic lights are hanging horizontally. The green and red are the same colour to him. He cannot shop for clothes alone. He could not play Master Mind with me without me screaming "bloody hell, you're cheating!" He paints with the assistance of a colour wheel and a book that tells him what colour trees are, leaves, ground, houses, etc. He looks at the names on the paint tubes, but cannot take the paints out of a tube because that would confuse him with the other tubes.

And now that you know this, go back through all his drawings and notice what a genius mind can create without ever knowing what it looks like to the normal eye.
These very colourful paintings were all painted by a colour blind person.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • Don't get any ideas...my Daddy isn't available for any sketching sessions at your new house.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:34 PM, January 25, 2007  

  • Excellent!

    I *was* beginning to suspect that it had something to do with the colours, but I didn't suspect colour-blindness.

    I guess it would explain why some of the colours are so LOUD (if he's being "told" what red and green are), and I think that's what makes them special and so appealing.

    If I had painted these exact same drawings, I'd have used much subtler, realistic colours. But I suspect that'd make them look a bit drab!

    Mazeltov to him, and "todah rabah" for sharing :)

    I'm gonna stick this on my own blog: www.alotofgoodways.wordpress.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:17 AM, January 26, 2007  

  • Megan, that's a real shame. I suppose I should schedule someone else then.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 10:35 AM, January 26, 2007  

  • Kel, thanks for following the blog. I will continue to upload his drawings as there's quite a few of them, and he draws at a fairly fast pace.

    Well done on the Hebrew knowledge. :-)

    That was very sweet of you to dedicate a post to my dad's drawings. Very much appreciated.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 10:39 AM, January 26, 2007  

  • See the thing is, we have had this discussion before, but I would never have guessed it. I think that means I might be slightly color blind myself.

    I mean I can tell red from green, but the more subtle shades like gray, brown, blue and black throw me for a loop.

    By Blogger Mike, at 7:09 PM, January 26, 2007  

  • That's too funny. Now I have to tell you this story and he might be able to relate.

    When I was a little kid, I had legos. I used to make little cities. Now, my stoplights were red, yellow, and blue. Relatives would tell me that it should be red, yellow, and green. I said, no, it's red, yellow, and blue. I never learned a green light was green until I got to school. To this day, looks blue to me. But I've learned to call it green because everyone else does.

    By Blogger The Zombieslayer, at 12:17 AM, February 08, 2007  

  • Oh, that zombie is green. Some greens I could tell, some I can't. So I guess I'm not as color blind as your father.

    By Blogger The Zombieslayer, at 12:18 AM, February 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home