.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

2/04/2007

Celebrating a special week


This week felt like an entire month. We signed the settlement on the new house on Wednesday and so far we have over a dozen boxes and all our paintings sitting in the new house waiting for the official move date.

The settlement signing ceremony was painless and even a pleasure to go through. The sellers turned out to be a wonderful couple, and we clicked right away. After the signing, we all decided to go out and celebrate at a local bar/restuarant and had a fantastic time! So fantastic that my husband even said to them that he wished they didn't have to move away. We also extended an invitation for them to come stay at their home/our home whenever they come up to visit.

In the evening we decided to go out and celebrate again. We thought about going to McDonald's since we can no longer afford anything expensive, but at the last minute changed our minds. The first restaurant we wanted to go to, was closed for business, so I came up with a suggestion of another restaurant we've never been to. The experience there was horrendous. The menu was poor in selection, the steak wasn't done properly (TWICE), and the overall experience was bad. This was definitely an appropriate ending to our living in this city - "yet another reason to move!"

The day after we signed the settlement I submitted my resume to another company, and two days later I applied for a federal job. If anything comes out of these applications I'd be shocked, considering I had too much going on all at once and my mind wasn't on putting 100% of it into my future.

Meanwhile, the packing activities at the house are becoming more painfull as we realise we no longer have available space to put more boxes. It's tough as is to walk around the house.

I did succeed in copying several VHS tapes to my computer (and later to a DVD), so I'm very proud of myself for it. That ought to save a huge amount of space (two shelves worth of VHS tapes we can throw away now).

I found some treasures hidden in my piles of junk, and started an e-bay account. Sold my first item and shipped it yesterday. Even earned $25 above the low bid amount I put on it. The alternative was to throw it to the trash. So I'm glad that went so well. Now if only I could sell all the books I put out for sale. I could actually gain quite a bit out of this business venture.

This morning I found a $100 bill hidden well into piles and piles of junk I was in the midst of throwing away. I am so glad I actually go through each piece of paper before trashing it. But for the sake of luck, I'm not going to use this bill and will hide it in another place where it'll be a surprise next time I move.

Now, if only I could find out how to my black ink cartridges, since I seem to have five of those, but none of the color cartridges. I could really use a colour cartridge right about now as I try to print the change of address postcards.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Finding money that you didn't know about is quite possibly the best feeling in the world!

    When I was in university, I had a habit of finding money all the time in a variety of places hidden around my room and wardrobe, but it never happens to me anymore!

    - Kel (www.alotofgoodways.wordpress.com)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:39 PM, February 04, 2007  

  • My husband and I have perfected the loose change issue. We have a coffee can by the front door with a slot on the top. All our loose change every day goes into it. Several weeks later we take the coffee can and put it into the change machine at the bank and get dollar bills in exchange.

    Part of the problem of having so much junk and not going through it regularly is finding a check from 1998 for $97 that was uncashed. It all balances out, I suppose.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 1:42 PM, February 04, 2007  

  • nce when I was a kid I found a bag full of money and turned it in. It wasn't a lot of money, but enough that it would have made the person who lost it a little uncomfortable.

    Like the good Samaritan that I am, I turned the money in to the local police. Someone claimed the money and I never got so much as a thank you out of it.

    Since then, I have never found any money except for the occasional penny here and there.

    If I could sell all of the junk that my wife and I have on some place like EBay, I am fairly certain I could retire.

    By Blogger Mike, at 5:41 PM, February 04, 2007  

  • I just moved a couple months ago, so I do feel your pain! (Fortunately this place has a very large (and now very full) basement, so I've been able to fool myself into thinking I've gotten everything unpacked. Then I go downstairs and cringe.

    By Blogger Phoebe Fay, at 11:08 AM, February 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home