.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

1/13/2008

The Reason We Moved

Above is a photo giving you all Reason # 1 why I wanted to move out of the townhouse. This was my computer room. The place where I spent most of my time in the house. The stress factor related with coming to this mess every day was weighing on me to a degree of insanity.
There've been numerous times where I snapped at my husband just because I could no longer tolerate to look at this.

I know some of you cannot even begin to imagine how a normal person can let their house get to this condition, but in 11 years we managed to let it go this bad.

This stressor in my life was unbearable until I finally came to the realization that the main reason this room is like this is because I have no time to clean it. Of course, who has time when you're wasting three hours of your day commuting back and forth to work, then you're spending another hour trying to calm down from the commute. By the time we got to the weekend, we had no energy to take care of our house.

The solution was to move closer to work.

Well, that was a year ago. Some of you may be curious as to what my computer room looks like right now. Well, here ya go...


Ok, ok, yes, I get it. This makes no sense to you. But seriously, this is fantastic accomplishment. You see, all these papers on the floor are actually piled by topic. These are only three years worth of bills. The other 8 years are in the boxes you see on the right. Tomorrow I'll have only one more year's worth of bills to lay out on the floor: 2007.

Then...

Hmmm...then?

Oh yeah, then I get online and ask you guys - ok, my legal all knowing friends, for how long do you keep your bills?

Keep in mind, I had tremendous difficulties throwing away the ADT (house alarm) bills for the townhouse - so be gentle with your advice.

One major problem I'm already seeing is the Cingular bills. Those mf bills are about 20 pages long each! It's almost as long as the script to my phone conversations per month. They take so much space, it's just a crime against the environment.

Another issue I'm seeing - Blue Cross Blue Shield has GOT to learn to stop sending a piece of paper for EVERY SINGLE medical charge. They need to consolidate the charges per month and send me ONE statement per month instead of the 70 pieces of paper I have from this past year.

Before you admonish me for saving bills for so many years, I'll have you know that the Class Action lawsuit against VISA/MasterCard and AMEX go all the way back to 1996. And unlike most normal people who will get $25 out of this lawsuit, I intend on submitting every single bill I have from my once-twice a year trips overseas. I've been upset about those exchange rate finance charges for YEARS and kept those bills just in case someone ever has the brains to file a lawsuit. I can't wait to find out how much this lawsuit will get me.
Last time I participated in a class action lawsuit I got $500 from Toshiba. That bought my first digital camera back in 1999.

I love lawyers!

By the way, this entire cleaning effort on the floor of my computer room is because I started looking for all those credit card bills. I figured while I was doing it, I might as well pile everything else appropriately.

But NOW what?

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • You need a personal records management schedule. Businesses and organizations that produce 'info' have records management schedules to figure out what paper gets produced and collected, then kept for so many years based on the why they need to be kept for X number of years.
    There are papers you need to keep for most of your life such as long term contracts, titles to/proof of property (real and intellectual), wills, and life insurance. There is stuff you only need to keep for a few years, and stuff that needs to be tossed about a year after. There is no rule saying you can't scan some documents, toss the hard copy and migrate the data every 10 or so years.
    Personally, I keep about 1-2 years of old bills before they are tossed. The reason I keep, is to compare ulitily usage over time. The reason I toss is, I accept vague possibly of never to be realized lost opportunities from tossing them. I want to make sure I own my stuff, not my stuff owning me.
    I might need this for something vague and unknown isn't a reason to keep something. Knowing specifically why you are keeping X and the cost of long term storage of X (monthly storage fees, loss of space in your home, sanity, etc) is what you need to consider.

    By Blogger Mari, at 8:06 AM, January 14, 2008  

  • I know what you mean about the difference ebtween organised piles and disorganised piles- they look the same, but they're completely different.

    That space heater next to all that paper makes me nervous just sitting here looking at it, though. Be careful, eh?

    By Blogger Forrest Proper, at 10:15 AM, January 14, 2008  

  • What in Sam hell? If it were me I'd torch the room.LOL I'm lazy like that.

    Unlike Colonel I am not worried about the space heater.I'm just tempted to turn that damn fan on! ;o)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:41 AM, January 14, 2008  

  • Mari, if I had a super scanner like I have at work, I'd be feeding every single document into it, and toss everything out! But I have the scanner that requires lifting the lid, placing the document just right, waiting ten minutes for it to scan, lifting the lid, and so on.

    I don't need to compare utility usage over time because I already know I've been scammed by Washington Gas. On our first month in this house we got a bill for $500! They gave us some lame story about our gas usage in a cold month. Funnily, our gas bill since then has been $60-$80. @ssholes!

    I love your reasoning about the cost of long term storage, loss of space, sanity. That is a great idea!!!

    Colonel, no need to worry about the "space heater." It's a cooling fan, not connected, because it's winter.

    Prep, my husband wanted to torch the room in the townhouse. I told him it's easier to move. No hassle with firemen. As for the fan - I don't need to turn the fan, my dog walks through one time and there you have it - the mess you're looking at. It was organized piles before.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 6:27 PM, January 14, 2008  

  • That's like half a rain forest Mybrid!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:08 PM, January 14, 2008  

  • I'm a packrat about a lot of things but not bills. Once they're paid, I toss 'em. Sweety was a bill hoarder til he met me. He had 13 years worth of bank statements that we shredded one day when he was feeling brave.

    By Blogger Chickie, at 4:31 PM, January 15, 2008  

  • I'm with chickie. I rip and toss the minute the check is written. But there are still 25 years of old checks I need to get rid of... I'll post a picture of my "linen" closet soon, which functions in lieu of an office - it will make you feel better.

    By Blogger here today, gone tomorrow, at 6:55 AM, January 16, 2008  

  • My filing system: Organized chaos.

    It works.

    Most of the time.

    By Blogger Mike, at 12:11 PM, January 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home