.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

1/17/2007

Is it this one? Or that one? Maybe it's this one?

Today I learned that house inspections can take three and a half hours. I also learned that you can't take photos of 90% of the annoyances we decided to list in the house inspection:
  • The heater was making an awful lot of noise.
  • The gas meter outside was leaking gas and the smell was noticeable, yet the machine didn't catch up on where it came from.
  • The electrical wires connecting the lights in the house were all crisscrossed, so you'd turn one switch on, and a light in an unexpected place would turn on. But I'll be darned if we could find the light switch for the light in the foyer. It wasn't any of the three switches by the front door.
  • And the freezer wasn't making ice.

Tomorrow's excitement will involve lead inspection. I decided to pass on this, eventhough it was my idea to check it. I have too much going on at work to spend another three hours of my day watching someone else check my future bathroom.

I'm getting a serious case of buyer's remorse, yet trying to convince myself that this is the house. I've already saved into my favourites a possible door bell, lawn ornaments, and address labels to notify my friends of change of address. We still have a week to go before we really sign a contract. The appraisal is the deal breaker for us. If it comes too low, then we're not taking the deal, and we continue our search for the perfect house.

In the meantime, I'm trying real hard not to buy anything unless absolutely necessary. In my last round of shopping I actually had to think hard whether to buy new soap or just use all the leftovers I have around the house. When my bathroom ran out of toilet paper yesterday, I grabbed a roll from another bathroom, but now I stand before one heck of a decision - do I buy the discounted 24 roll pack, or the 4 roll pack to last us til the move?

These are truly tough decisions for me. I don't suppose there's any website to help people like me, is there?

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Mybrid--I bought my house 12 years ago and I am still suffering from buyers remorse.

    We noticed a funny smell when we went there for the inspection. I couldn't tell for sure what it was because of the heavy odor of air freshener in the house. When we took possession of the house we quickly found out that the smell we were smelling was a very serious gas leak. The gas company came there and told us to go away until it was fixed.

    I'd buy the 24 pack unless it is going to cost you a bunch extra to move it to the new house. If that's the case, I'd just buy the 4 pack.

    By Blogger Mike, at 10:50 PM, January 17, 2007  

  • Mike, but what if the 24 pack would be just the size of an extra item that would push the truck size from a small truck to a large truck? I won't be able to live with that decision!

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 1:18 PM, January 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home