.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

1/16/2007

Houses and Architecture


Among the many books we have to pack are several collections of Architecture Magazines. While this makes perfect sense for someone who's majored in Architecture, the magazines were actually a mutual purchase between my husband and I. When we got married we had an ongoing debate of our professional future. Turns out I wanted to major in Computers and my husband wanted to major in Architecture.

Life happened, and I majored in Architecture, and my husband is the Senior Network Engineer.

But neither of us gave up our passion in life, so there are two shelves of Architecture magazines, and two shelves of computer books.

This of course led to a very exciting house search, during which we both agreed that we can't stand the American box with cut out windows. We wanted something unique. Open floor plan. Lots of windows. Lots of outlets for all my electronic gadgets. Reality set in when we realised we cannot afford that house.

Now that we found a house, we both get to replay our passion in life. My husband gets more magazines about interior architecture, and I draft the floor plan and 3-D plan on the computer. Come to think of it, that pile of books we set aside for charity is as high as the new magazines and books we bought in the past three weeks about Moving, Interior Design, Modern Architecture, etc.

Tomorrow is a milestone day - the house inspection. That's when my husband gets to play his favourite role - nitpicking on every small item in the house. He loves doing it. I may have to bring my camera along just to give you proof on the stuff he picks on.

What's the saying - every person who owns a house thinks he's an Architect?
Yeah, you better believe it!

2 Comments:

  • I never worried about what the builder that built a house did. What worried me the most was a homeowner with a Home Depot Charge Card. I say this based on personal experience because I have a Home Depot charge card.

    By Blogger Mike, at 8:26 PM, January 16, 2007  

  • My husband also has the Home Depot charge card. And I'm supposed to get a good night's sleep now???

    Next time place your comment in the morning!

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 9:19 PM, January 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home