.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

1/15/2007

Packing a House


We started packing our house. We started with the easiest thing to pack - books. In the process of packing we're also finding books we no longer care to keep. I just wish I had the patience to sell them on e-bay or something. It's just too much effort. I may have to take a photo of the pile of books that we're getting rid of and post it here in case someone has an eye for rare books that I could sell for a thousand dollars.

I love books. Fortunately, so does my husband. So we spend our quality time once a week at a bookstore. We never go to the library for the simple reason that we're too lazy to remember to bring the books back. We'd rather own books anyway. I used to read the same type of books through high school - Science Fiction. Then when Grisham began to publish I started reading Mystery. From Mystery I moved on to Suspense, Fiction, Non-Fiction, you name it. I think the only category I may not have touched are autobiographies. I just can't find anything fascinating about someone talking about themselves.

There is only one book that I've read more than once:
The Chosen by Chaim Potok. I've given this book as a gift so many times that I think I subsidized all copies that our local bookstore ordered in the past ten years. I saw the movie many years ago while I was in high school. I've been searching for the DVD since DVD's came into the market. I finally found it a few months ago. It was as good as I remembered.

I am not going to launch into a review about the book, because others do a better job. But I will wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who's interested in reading a good novel about the split between Ultra Orthodox and Reform Jews. While this may sound like a very specific topic relating to Jews, it's an excellent novel about a friendship that goes beyond the differences of opinions.

The type of friendship that I have learned to appreciate in recent years.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Hi there, I was searching for something completely unrelated, and I found your page...Just wanted to say that these paintings are amazing!

    Is there more information about the painter available? They're lovely, thanks for posting.

    - K

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:19 AM, January 17, 2007  

  • Kel, thanks for dropping by, even if by coincidence. The painter is my dad. I'm attempting to post a drawing per post, but I may opt later to upload several at a time.

    The post speaking about my dad can be found here:
    http://mybrid.blogspot.com/2007/01/unique-talent.html

    I look forward to seeing more of your comments and will pass them along to my dad.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 7:24 PM, January 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home