.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

7/05/2007

Fireworks but no earthquake


Fourth of July turned out to be better than I had planned. For the past 14 years in the US I've always had an interesting 4th of July, watching the fireworks. This year was my first time in a different state and closer to the Nation's Capital. A sweet chance to go to the National Mall. But I caught a darn cold that kept me away, so I was resigned to sitting at home and watching it on TV with my husband and mother-in-law, brother-in-law and grandfather-in-law.

Watched the entire evening broadcast on TV from the National Mall, just a mere Metro ride away from where I live. And when it all ended, I stepped outside for a breath of fresh air, when I realised, there's a fireworks show right across the street from where I live, and the street is packed with cars parked on both sides, and I'm occupying prime real estate for this show! This show went on for another 20 minutes past the one I just saw on TV. What a surprise and a bonus! At the end of it, I watched everyone pack their folding chairs from the sidewalk, and go back to their cars, and all I had to do was open the gate to the yard and step back in my house. I just couldn't believe my luck.

My dog wasn't as thrilled about the fireworks and for the first time ever actually behaved himself when I took him out for a walk, as he walked really tight and close to me with his tail tucked between his legs, afraid the big monster of fireworks will get him. Needless to say that the thunder storm above didn't help his confidence one bit. This was also the first time we let him outside, closed the door only to be shocked by seeing our dog literally climb and molest our door in his attempt to come back inside. Poor dog was terrified from the fireworks across the street (which of course I didn't know about until after I finished watching the National Fireworks).

This morning my husband's coworker, who also does real estate on the side, remembered to tell him, "Oh, and you know the park across your street has the best fireworks show in the county!" Geez, thanks for telling us a day AFTER. Some people should just learn when NOT to remember anything and just stay quiet for their own sake.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home