.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

9/03/2007

Good news

I'm running behind on everything I wanted to write before Labor Day, so this may be a very rushed post about everything.

Some of you have asked me if my camp experience was good or bad. To be honest, it's been difficult for me to determine that. It was bad to some extent and awesome to another. I had a blast with the kids. I loved what I did. I enjoyed the activities at camp. But I absolutely hated the adults that were in the leadership group. They had their own clique and it was getting to me on an emotional level. The other problem I had - physically, I wasn't doing well at camp. I had to come to terms with my diagnosis of arthritis. I've been in denial for five years. Camp confirmed that this is indeed a problem for me. For five years I've been hiding my handicapped placard because people give me the look when I park in a handicapped spot (I don't LOOK sick). But after camp, I've decided "screw them!" if they want any of my four conditions, they're welcome to it.

So now two weeks after camp, I'm done limping, but of course just long enough to go through surgery that caused me to walk like a monkey.

And what does my husband ask me as we approach the parking lot today - "would you like me to park in a handicapped spot?" For five years he's been asking me this because I'd only let him do it when there are plenty other handicapped spots and I wouldn't be taking anyone else's spot that may be more handicapped than me. Today I just asked him, "do you honestly believe I could walk the distance from where you just parked to the front entrance?" Needless to say, he got the message.

On the first day at camp once the kids started arriving, I was looking for five particular kids. Five kids whose mothers know me from a support website. I couldn't find one of them. Some misunderstanding (found him later). But for a brief time I was about to call the mother to find out which bus he got on. As I turned on my cellphone (we were told to have it shut during camp) I noticed a message for me.

The message was from my future boss.

I GOT THE CLEARANCE, THEY WANT ME RIGHT AWAY!

I called her right back and she told me someone gave in her notice and they want ME as soon as possible. I was so thrilled, but I told her I'd like vacation after camp because I knew I still needed surgery. I didn't think it'd be a problem for me to start working while injecting alcohol. But I suppose I'll find out tomorrow.

Tomorrow is my first day at work! After five very long months I finally get to work at the job I wanted.

I'm extremely excited about it. A bit wary because of my condition after surgery, but it's only two more days of this alcohol party and then I can go to the ER and get it removed. My boss knows about my surgery and is understanding.

I'm really worried about more surgeries I need this year, but I'm hoping the client would get to know me before I have to tell him I need more surgeries. Once they'll realise I'm not a slacker and work my ass off, they'll understand my situation better. I'm far more motivated to work because of my poor health, simply because it gives me a sense of normalcy in my life.

Of course with my new job my blog surfing will have to be reduced to evenings only. I don't think I'd be surfing the net at work. I already know I'm going to be extremely busy.

Thank you everyone for your supportive comments and emails through my unemployment phase in life as well as my health problems. It's a wonderful feeling to know so many people care.

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • Yeah, none of the companies I ever worked for would let me inject alcohol either. Damn stupid companies.

    Enjoy your first day at work.

    By Blogger Mike, at 9:43 PM, September 03, 2007  

  • Wow! Good news indeed, Mybrid! Not only going to work but to a job you WANTED!! Congratulations! Can't wait to hear about your new gig!

    By Blogger Sara Sue, at 10:03 PM, September 03, 2007  

  • You have our admiration, and congratulations on the new job!!

    By Blogger Forrest Proper, at 7:17 AM, September 04, 2007  

  • Mike, it's not just any company. It's the one you pay taxes to. ;-)
    You can do a lot of things and get away with them when you work for this "company."

    Sara Sue, unfortunately, due to the nature of where I'll work I have to refrain from talking about it. But I may be able to insert anecdotes that don't reveal anything every so often.

    Colonel, thank you very much for the kind words. Much appreciated.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 7:37 AM, September 04, 2007  

  • Congratulations on the job!

    By Blogger Phoebe Fay, at 3:01 PM, September 04, 2007  

  • So then since this is a "company I pay taxes to," then technically you work for me now right?

    By Blogger Mike, at 6:10 PM, September 04, 2007  

  • Can you get us monogrammed coasters and tie pins?

    By Blogger Forrest Proper, at 6:32 PM, September 04, 2007  

  • Now, Now, Mybrid...careful. The "company I pay taxes to" has their own "inspections" division to monitor their own employees and corruption from within. I personally build their office, lab, garage, etc space in the Landover, MD area and they are pretty high-tech. While working for an elite AEC firm I had the pleasure of doing tenant renovations for this client and got to see first hand the cool vans they drive around with high-tech video Surveillance and other snooping devices and unmentionables (I could tell you, but then I'd have to......well you know, let your imagination run wild).

    They have cool sound proof rooms too.

    Good luck at the new job.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:12 PM, September 04, 2007  

  • Yeah! Good news and congratulations on the job!

    By Blogger here today, gone tomorrow, at 7:54 PM, September 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home