.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

8/07/2007

Summer Camp is approaching

We're back to the story of my unemployment - Day 2.

As you all may recall, I signed up to go to camp. Tuesday evening was the party for the local counselors who'll be heading to the same camp. The party was in D.C. held at someone's private home. Of the counselors that were invited I only knew the directors of the local chapters. Everyone else seemed to have met one another at previous camps.

Within the first five minutes at this party it turned out that the owner of the house is an instructor at the same University I graduated from, and from the same Department! We knew the same teachers.

Within the next five minutes I found that one of the counselors is a student at another University and is a student of someone I worked with who's a very good friend of mine.

So here were two completely unrelated coincidences, that were not connected in any way to the camp I'm going to. Sure, the term "small world" comes to mind, but this is just too incredible that in the several millions of people living in the area of DC/Maryland/Northern Virginia - that I'd meet two people in one party who'd be so close to my own history. It's not like there's only one University in this area. It's not like there's only one university teacher in the metropolitan area. And it's not like there's only one place you can study this major.

Overall I was a bit overwhelmed at the party because everyone were talking about all these American games they plan for the camp, and I'm not too well versed in American games. When I asked the guys to explain to me what Capture the Flag is, the guy answered me "it's like a game of Tag," to which I responded, "You must think I know what Tag is!?!" I had to launch into an explanation that as an Israeli I can teach them How to Capture a Terrorist, but don't know the rules to How to Capture the Flag. From the laughs I got, I think I'll be providing many more laughs at camp just from sheer ignorance of American camp culture.

I'm terrified about all these games they plan and songs, and numerous other things I'm not familiar with. In self defense, I called my nephews back in Israel and requested them to teach me songs in Hebrew from camp, and Israeli games. I plan on turning the tables and teaching THEM some Israeli games. I now have 58 pages of printed material with games from the Israeli scouts.

Oh and the Hebrew song I plan to teach the kids at camp: La'Dod Moshe Hayta Chava. You're all familiar with this song, but you just don't realise it. Hint: the next line goes: E I E I O.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • Oh Mybrid ... this all sounds "meant to be"! Think of the education you're going to be providing the sheltered American kids! I envy you, what a great experience you're in for!

    By Blogger Sara Sue, at 4:54 PM, August 08, 2007  

  • Sounbds like a great experience! One tip for a new camper- do not let ANYONE tell you that s'mores should have bananas in them. That's just wrong.

    By Blogger Forrest Proper, at 5:27 PM, August 08, 2007  

  • Sara Sue, I think it's going to be the other way around, where the sheltered Israeli is going to learn from the educated American kids.

    Colonel, I'll keep that in mind. Or maybe... I'll use this myself on others?

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 7:06 AM, August 09, 2007  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger The Hard-working Slacker, at 10:52 AM, August 09, 2007  

  • Hmm interesting, sounds like you got a decent plan for summer for giving back to the community. Having read the above, lets hope for the sanctity of the summer camp you don't go around playing 'hide and seek'! ;)

    Anyways I'm trying to gauge reader's thoughts on what they'll remember most from this summer and some other stuff that you'll just need to go and visit my blog. You could say I've inadvertently 'tagged' you Mybrid and anyone else interested in sharing their thoughts.

    Ciao for now,

    thws

    By Blogger The Hard-working Slacker, at 10:54 AM, August 09, 2007  

  • Sounds like a golden-delicious time to me. Teach those kids something they'd never learn elsewhere!

    By Blogger Parad0x, at 4:53 PM, August 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home