.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

8/06/2007

The Lunch Invitation

Yesterday I thought I'd write one post to sum up two weeks of unemployment, and somehow that post turned out to be one day's worth. I feel like I may have disappointed my readers in not engaging them more by asking them - have YOU dealt with irate customers? I suspect this could be a whole long discussion sometime. But I'm thinking I'll leave it for the first time I've actually experienced it.

So we're off to Tuesday. My second day of unemployment. I was invited by the director of a local chapter of a certain charitable organization for lunch. Those of you who know me, can guess which one and where, but for different reasons I am not mentioning those details in public.

I got there at 11:30am as was agreed. They sat me down on the guest chair and got straight to business. Within the first five minutes I was requested to be on the planning committee for a fundraiser walk, and when they realised I wasn't very awake yet, they threw in an invitation to be a member of their Board of Trustees! My initial reaction was "Excuse me???" I was just blown away by their invitation. No elections. No effort. Just outright invitation followed by a list of reasons why they want me. I was flabbergasted that they thought I was a good choice. I was overwhelmed with the offer. I was humbled by the occasion. I didn't know what to say, other than, "I hope I won't disappoint you, because I do not have any capabilities of engaging in fundraising." (read: I HATE asking people for money!!!) They immediately set me straight and explained my role would not involve that aspect of being a Board of Trustees member.

Lunch was just a way for them to say "Thank You for saying 'yes,'" I think. It was a good lunch, too.

On my way home I had to call the director of a different local chapter in order to set a time to meet with her that night - that's when I was faced with yet another invitation, or more of a request. "I know you're unemployed now, and you wouldn't mind coming by to help us out. And you wouldn't say "no" to us, so when are you coming?"

Needless to say, I've been spending some of my unemployment days in ...an office, working my ass off. I absolutely LOVE volunteering and helping. If my husband wins the lottery I'd do it full time. But I can't consider it at this point in my life because I really want to do project management above all.

This post only covers Tuesday until 6pm. Another post will cover Tuesday evening.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home