.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

2/27/2008

Save your photos! NOW!

My PC is in the shop. Still. After erasing my hard drive, doing a restore and returning it back to us, we found it's still not working right. We returned the PC back to Best Buy, told them it's been through rehab and now needs to be hospitalized at the lab.

But I wasn't too worried, because I had used my new Black Friday purchase six weeks ago to backup all my emails and a few of the files in My Documents. Plus, I had most of my folders backed up on my Maxtor external hard drive (80gb) about a year ago.

The biggest possible loss would have been two critical files - my financial spreadsheet which I had just completed for 2007 so we can do our taxes, and my password spreadsheet which is where I track every single website's user name and password, registration numbers for appliances, and all other important information.

Good news first - financial spreadsheet - for some unknown reason I've decided to email it to myself, JUST IN CASE.

Password sheet - I have the last version of it on my laptop and only lost three months worth of registrations. Sucks, because I just registered our kitchen appliances and got warranties for them.

Photos.

Yeah, millions of photos. From 1999 through this year. Okay, where was I supposed to have them again? Oh, Maxtor. No problem, let's connect the Maxtor to my laptop and get it all saved into my other Black Friday purchase (MyBook 500 GB).

About that...

Maxtor (80GB) is dead. Kaput. No longer working. Worked fine two months ago. Now is dead.

Do I have another backup of photos? Sure, I have CD's that I made a couple of years ago. But this still means I've lost a tremendous amount of photos.

Thankfully, I married a computer geek. He took an old PC apart, broke the Maxtor to its components. Reconnected the Maxtor with new cables. Connected my new WD Black Friday purchase to the US drive, and we began the process of saving everything from the broken Maxtor to the new WD.

48 freaking hours later, it finally finished backing up 80GB worth of files. (Did I mention it was an old PC we used?).

Now, I have two external hard drives hooked to my laptop - WD (160gb) and MyBook (500gb), as I transfer everything to MyBook.

I still don't know the extent of my loss. I've uploaded a lot of photos to the website, so I do have a means to bring back most of my stuff. But that's going to take a considerable amount of time to do.

What I do know - next time I make a purchase on Black Friday, it's going to come out of the box the following day, and used within a week. No more procrastination.

Lessons learned - save your photos NOW. Use CD's. Don't trust those external hard drives.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • Yeah, I had one go belly up, not fun. I have a little black notebook of passwords, I feel very Retro...

    By Blogger Forrest Proper, at 7:25 AM, February 28, 2008  

  • Been there done that and it was not a pleasant experience at all!

    I still have nightmares from it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:25 AM, February 29, 2008  

  • I had that happen with my old desktop. Still worries me what might be on there. I think it was/is the power supply but I just haven't gotten around to taking a look at it. Busy with all these naps and stuff.

    By Blogger Mike, at 6:52 PM, February 29, 2008  

  • That stinks. I had two summers worth of vacation photos on some cds and somehow they got erased.

    Hope you find it all!

    By Blogger Chickie, at 8:36 PM, February 29, 2008  

  • Was it your HP Tablet PC laptop that went up on you? What was the problem? I have the same model 1320us and don't want to have the same issue with mine...any feedback you have, please share !

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:46 AM, March 12, 2008  

  • Christopher, it was my HP desktop. My laptop is doing fantastic. The problem with the desktop is the husband that cleaned it with the keyboard compressed air can!

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 9:43 PM, March 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home