.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

12/03/2005

Shopping at the Mall

My husband and I went shopping today at an outlet mall for something for him to wear at next week's holiday party. $600 later I'm ready to call it quits on this crazy shopping season. I cannot for the life of me understand the outrageous prices on suits for men.

Last year I wore something worth maybe $70 all together to the company holiday party and I heard no bad comments about my outfit. (And to be honest, I don't really care if it was out of pity for my poor selection of clothes). For the past six years my husband has been showing up to the company's holiday parties with dockers, no-collar shirt, and a sweater. He's the only man out of 200+ guests every year who was not wearing a tie. I don't really mind it too much, because both of us have stuck out like sore thumbs at these parties, with me being the only woman not wearing a dress and him being the only man without a tie. Not only that, but I've stayed away from wearing black like all other women at these parties, while my husband has been more colourful than I.

I pick my battles with my husband and clothes has been pushed to the bottom of the priorities scale considering I'm the one who's most picky about what I wear. So he can wear what he wants to for every occasion. It's very seldom that I ask him not to wear jeans. I may have done it one time.

This year I was informed in our company's kitchen that my boss will be reviewing photos from last year's holiday party (taken by yours truly) to ensure that I don't wear the same suit this year. In a quick poll of four women and one pregnant lady, a consensus was reached that black is once again "in." Since everyone knows I don't wear dresses or skirts, someone recommended that I look into tuxedos for women. I would have LOVED to wear a tuxedo, but I'm too lazy to go searching where they sell those.

So I bought black pants, black jacket (that doesn't match the pants, but who the #*@& cares when they're so drunk), will accessorize with a colourful shirt, and I'm good to go!

But if I have to suffer the hardship of society's fashion, then so does my husband. We got him a suit, and tomorrow I'll investigate his shirt and tie options before forcing him to buy something without moth holes.

When people find out I'm not from the U.S. they always ask me, "So do you like it here?" OK, here's my answer, and don't look so shocked when I tell you the truth - NO! I don't like it here! I can't stand the fashion police. I can't stand the society judging people for what they wear. I can't stand the lack of freedom to wear what I freaking feel comfortable in. I can't stand the parties where all women wear black dresses with spaghetti straps on below zero temperatures. I can't stand having to wear something different every day to work. I can't stand wearing tight clothes to make me look more feminine. I can't stand to wear the fancy clothes made from itchy materials. I can't stand not being able to wear jeans and a t-shirt to work. I can't stand having to match colours just to satisfy the fashionazis.

I miss my country where people wear jeans and t-shirt to work and no one could care what you wear as long as you do a good job. There's no section in your performance evaluation that deals with how you dress up for work, because that has NOTHING to do with your peformance at work!!! (Do you guys honestly believe I'm more motivated to work and do a good job when wearing tight clothes, or when comfortable in jeans?!). I miss the country where you attend meetings with clients who, like you, are wearing jeans and a t-shirt. And you feel so comfortable in your clothes at work that you honestly don't mind staying a bit late every day, since you're not feeling all choked up in tight clothes. I miss my country where you go shopping for clothes and don't have to come across bright-shiny-huge dresses made for proms that are absolutely disgusting! I miss my informal country. A place where money is spent on food, mortgage and cultural events, and not clothes, plastic surgery and makeup.

And now I will go and contemplate what shoes to wear to the party, considering I don't do high heels and other womanly looking sandals.

One more week.

2 Comments:

  • Rockjock, I think I've reached enlightment...

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 9:35 PM, December 06, 2005  

  • You go sistah! I knew we think along the same lines when it comes to clothing issues! I love my casuals simply because they're so damn comfortable and bollox to anyone who thinks otherwise!

    I hate wearing suits although if you're looking for cheap Italian suits guys, Dubai in the United Arab Emirates (thats in the Middle east for those who never took geography seriously) is THE place to get em all! I went to one of the many humungous malls here and store after store were just left empty, there's hardly anyone there to shop, if anything people just head straight for the foodcourts here and get stuffed after walking around for 2 hours straight!

    All reasonably big brand names like Pierre Cardin and some other Italian names I can't be bothered to remember are going for about 25% of the original retail price. 'Why?' you ask, well thats cos the greasy greedy bunch of arabs that came up with the idea of building all these malls thinking people will just flock to them without a second thought grossly misplaced their collective common sense.

    Anyhoo I'm just ranting but I just wanted to show my support for the 'Anti fashion police, police'. I wish people would leave each other alone when it comes to wearing nice slack clothing, why do we all have to be squeezed into bikinis, thongs and other more impractical uses for clothing when we're just comfortable in wearing seemingyl untrendy baggy clothes (this goes for the boys and girls).

    Ok thats my 2 pence for now!

    By Blogger The Hard-working Slacker, at 5:15 AM, December 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home