.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

5/06/2006

Seen at the Sydney Maritime Museum

FITNESS TO SUPERFISH
Today body image seems more important than ever, certainly fitness is sought after and worked at by many. We no longer simply visit the local pool but are patrons of the aquatic fitness centre for auqa-aerobic classes, turbo spas and lapping workouts. We respect lane etiquette and are wary of pool rage.

Elite swimmers are promoted in and out of the pool as superstars, models of behaviour and the body beautiful. The competitive edge is stronger because millions of sponsorship dollars are riding on the performance and personalities of these superfish. With the help of computer enhanced images, the media projects their bodies as strange, hybrid forms...the swimmer becomes an amphibious creature 'from the deep'.

This is a photo of Australian swimmer Scott Miller with fish. Editors of Black + White magazine call it wearing the Olympic uniform of the ancient Greeks. Photographer John Davis.



This photo reminded me of a photo sent to me by my coworker, WL. For three months while working with WL I'd listen and participate in his phone conversations with his best friend "John" (who later became his Best Man at WL's wedding). Until one day I've had it and asked WL what his friend looks like.
WL then said, "I don't have a photo of my friend, but I have a photo of his iguana." And this is what he sent me... [face painted to maintain privacy]


And another photo from the same exhibit about the History of Swimming in Australia.

Craig Holmes celebrates the male body and its narcissistic reflection, 1999.

Photographer: Craig Holmes.

3 Comments:

  • I like the man with the fish. Mmmmm...... I think I found my new happy image for Yoga class.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:21 PM, May 08, 2006  

  • Yeah, I wish I could actually find the original photo online so I could put it on my desktop at work. But on second thought, would that be considered inappropriate at work?

    Oh, who cares?!

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 7:29 AM, May 09, 2006  

  • haha the 2nd image is kindda scary but funny!!

    the last image is definately 'awesome'

    By Blogger funny bunny, at 3:11 AM, June 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home