.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

12/03/2006

Before you sell your house


If you are in the market for selling your house, please do me a favour and hide your freaky collections before I check out your house. This weekend we checked out six houses. In the first one, Shane let us in, and introduced himself as a family friend taking care of the house. Everything in the house had a native indian slant, even the music in the background. I'm fairly certain that young Mr. Shane was not into this music, but I guess music sells houses. Once we left the house, I was almost expecting Shane to show up as the "resident family friend" in every house we were about to check.


The next house had a slanted shelf on one wall with a beanie baby collection, a china cabinet filled with dolls, and an open old chest with dolls heaping out of it, as if they were gasping for air. I tried real hard to imagine myself in this house, but the image of these dolls all watching me would very likely haunt me every day if I decide to move into that house.

The third house had a wall length china cabinet filled with dolls. I was completely freaked out at this point. I mean, com'n, how common is it to collect dolls, and how likely was it that we would check out two houses and both of them would have a doll collection in a china cabinet? I was tempted to tell the owner to take her two cats, and the doll collection and move in with the other family. Shane can probably babysit the dolls.

We did find a beautiful house, in a perfect location, good price, and nice neighbourhood, but after leaving and discussing it we realised we have accumulated too much crap to be able to move into this house. Even if we throw 2/3 of what we own, it won't be sufficient for what we need.

One of the considerations of buying a house is the city name and street name. It needs to be pronounceable to my family and friends in Israel. We actually found a house on a street named after a TV show, which would work out really well because we already live on a street named after a TV show. This would keep with our theme. This is a bit of a change for me, because I grew up in a street named after a prophet back in Israel. But I suppose prophets and TV shows are still within normal names for streets.

5 Comments:

  • Don't buy a house if you think you'll need to perform an exorcism ceremony before moving in. As for the doll collection; was that human hair on the heads? Hmmmmm...

    Just buy a Winebego and trailer the Jeeps around as needed. Stationary houses are overrated.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:46 AM, December 04, 2006  

  • MN, you're freaking me out! Quit it. One of the houses we're considering really strong has this collection, and if I find one doll stuck in an attic after we move, I swear I'm going to seek the dog on it.

    Speaking of dog - today is a BIG day for him!!!! More to follow. News at 9.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 2:01 PM, December 04, 2006  

  • Watch out for that music playing thing. When we were looking at the house we bought in Michigan, there was music playing every time we went there. I later found out that that music was covering up the sound of a sump pump firing off every 6 minutes. Never trust music playing or bread baking.

    Luckily for me I keep my womens underwear collection tightly locked away in a drawer.

    Was that TMI?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:03 PM, December 04, 2006  

  • Mike, thanks for the clue on the music. And am interested to hear about your TMI.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 7:29 AM, December 05, 2006  

  • That dog has a remarkable resemblance to Donald Rumsfeld! I hope he is considerably smarter, since living around D.C. can be pretty complicated.

    Our neighborhood is currently undergoing a plague of rats -- nasty, gray medium size rats that were dispossessed when a developer cleared out about 25 acres near a lake and the rats had no place to go. I've seen several, running across the streets, going in and out of garages. I have a police special .38 but I think it is too much of a cannon for a rat, so I'm buying a varmint killing BB rifle. The really do frighten me~

    Last week our car stopped dead in traffic, fortunately right outside a Tire Kingdom store. They were kind enough to take us in, and offered to put the alternator belt on properly that had come off, at no charge. All of us were quite shocked to find that it was the body of a squirrel that had gotten caught under there and thrown the belt. Life in Florida is a constant round of fun!

    mtrain

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:13 AM, December 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home