.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

1/13/2007

One heckuva emotionally draining week


They say bad news come in threes. They also say good news come in threes. I got it all of it in one week and I cannot remember any other week in my life that was so emotionally loaded with good and bad.

On Tuesday we celebrated our 14th anniversary with a nice dinner, and my husband surprised me with dessert - chocolate cake and 14 roses. And the timing was right in the middle of a discussion we had about how many times he's caught me off guard and surprised me. I'm so far behind, I don't think I can ever catch up.

On Wednesday morning I got an email from our real-estate agent that someone was ready to put in an offer on the house that we liked. Within half an hour we contacted our mortgage loan officer to send us the pre-approval letter. Within an hour my husband drove to a local branch of our bank close to his work to get a cashiers check for $7,500 (because we stupidly never carry a checkbook with us anywhere and we live an hour away from work). Within an hour and a half we were in the real-estate agent's office signing papers to put in an offer on the house. To throw in a bone, we told our agent that our mortgage officer is willing to close settlement by the end of the month.

Thursday morning I had a surgery to attend. But my mind was elsewhere for many reasons and by the time we got to the hospital (again, an hour away), I realised I forgot my x-rays at home. So I had my husband drop me off, and sent him back home to get the x-rays - hoping he'd get back before my surgery. I know. I know. I'm an idiot!

While I was having a nice discussion with the anesthesiologist, my phone rang. Thinking it was my husband I checked to see who it was. It was my client. Thankfully, she left a message and I was able to listen to it after the anesthesiologist left the room. That's when the good news began to roll in.

Apparently she had an informal talk with the boss about me quitting my company and wanting to stay work for him. He seemed very eager to keep me on board even as an independent. This makes life much easier for me, because now it's only a matter of giving him the optional contracting vehicles and let him decide which one I should go with.

Then came surgery time. I lost a bet. It was a stupid bet, and I should not have been betting just as they were getting ready to gas me, but I was in a good mood. So I now owe dinner to half the surgical team. And what's worse - I remembered the bet when I woke up from the anesthesia and that was the first thing I said out loud - "I guess I still owe you dinner?!"

The surgery went well, but the part that I always dread and specifically warned them about still happened. I got up to horrendous pains in my wrists from their attempts to put in IV's. I'm still in pain and can't do anything that requires twisting the wrists. You'll be amazed how many daily activities require this action. Ranging from opening the water tap, through opening a bottle, through brushing the hair. The surgery left me with four holes in my abdomen, but the relief was immediate. I can finally walk, lift my leg, bend down to put shoes on, and eat! My energy level is back. No more toxins getting into my body. The surgeon drained 17 ounces of fluid (530cc), which is equal in weight to a little over one pound, or a bottle of soda. It's almost the same as a five month old baby. So I'm delighted to have gotten rid of this excess weight. Now my stomach feels so flat I can't get used to it. I feel like it's glued to my back.

The bad news - I will need this surgical procedure in the future and very likely on a regular basis. But I suppose as long as it's not cancerous (I hope!) and I'm not going to die from it, I can live with it.

Then came the next piece of news, which I can't quiet pin down whether it'd be considered good or bad. Our offer from Wednesday was accepted. No fights. No arguments. No hackling with the other offerer. It's down to just passing the house inspection, lead inspection and house appraissal, and we have a house! I can't believe it. Things are going way too quick now.

I got back home and checked my email and found the last piece of good news for the week - the class I taught in November was the third ranked class of 19 classes given that day at the company training day. I was so ecstatic to read the email announcing it. It gave me validation that I can indeed teach.

This morning we went shopping for packing material. It's overwhelming just thinking about it!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • The thoughts of a big move like you are facing would put me in the hospital. If we ever have to move out of our house in Michigan I am going to run away until it is over.

    I am not at all sure what house inspections are like where you are, but my advice is to make sure the person is an independent, or better yet hire one yourself. I have had some bad experience with these guys because they usually aren't looking out for your best interest.

    By Blogger Mike, at 8:01 PM, January 13, 2007  

  • These paintings are wonderful, by the way. I only wish I could buy one, but I'm prevented from doing so by not living in the USA (oh, and having no money, too!).

    I especially like the one above, and the one with the peach tree and the hugging statues. Your dad's use of colour is gorgeous, especially the bright blue tones.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:15 PM, January 15, 2007  

  • Jenna, Thanks for your compliment to my dad and welcome to my blog. Don't worry about not being able to buy the paintings - my dad won't sell them (we've tried to talk him into it, but he's too attached). And by the way, he lives in Israel.

    I'll be uploading more photos with every post. So keep checking. There's still something unique that I mentioned about these drawings, that I haven't revealed. I'm waiting to see if anyone figures it out.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 4:23 PM, January 15, 2007  

  • Well I live in the United Arab Emirates, so Israel is a definite no-no! But still, I bet people would pay good money for these.

    I've already tried to figure out what's so unique...I'll come back to it later!

    Nice blog,

    Salaam/Shalom.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:02 PM, January 15, 2007  

  • Salaam Aleykum. :-)

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 9:02 PM, January 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home