.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

7/07/2007

I quit! Or not.

Yesterday, after nine years employment with the same company, I submitted my resignation.

But I didn't resign.

And if you're confused, then join the club.

Here's the short version of it. I had plans to resign on July 13th (Friday the 13th), since my mom tells me it's a day of luck for the Jews. So yesterday morning I decided to finally write my letter of resignation. I wanted to be ready a week ahead.

Three weeks ago my company announced that my boss's boss's boss is retiring, and that my boss's boss will be replacing him. Two days later, my boss put in his resignation. Totally unrelated event. He had planned it, and it just happened that the retirement was announced two days before his scheduled resignation.

This rapid evolvement made me determined to resign by the time I finish my current project (end of this month). July 13th would have made for the perfect two-week notice.

But yesterday things started happening very quick. I got a call from my boss (who knows I'm quitting) that his boss and the retiring boss would like to know what I plan to do after finishing the project I'm on at this point. They had two projects they wanted to put me on, and they wanted to hear what I wanted to do.

I decided for the sake of not misleading them to resign right away. So I double-checked my resignation letter and requested my boss to confirm that indeed the hours on the contract were to be depleted by July 25th.

Within two minutes I got a call from my boss telling me, "No! There's a mistake on the spreadsheet. Your hours have been depleted as of today!" I hesitated for a second and said, "What are you saying? That I'm fired?" He then explained that because he's already told the client that I'm staying til July 25th, that the company will have to eat up the costs of my employment between now and July 25th. He sort of hid the fact that after he leaves the company I'll be left with explaining to his boss why I've billed the last two weeks against a non-billable account.

I packed up my stuff, printed the letter and drove to DC to submit my resignation.

Or so I thought.

Came into the top boss's office and explained why I'm resigning (I wasn't promoted like I asked). I'm not sure what I expected to hear, and maybe I didn't think this quite through. But I most definitely did not expect to hear the response I got: "I respect your opinion, but I disagree with you."

Ok, let me get this straight? I'm trying to quit and you're refusing to let me go?

We have projects for you. We need you. We want you to take your boss's place.

Ok, maybe you didn't understand. I'm quitting because of the past! Because I wasn't promoted when I should have been. I'm quitting because this company doesn't care about Project Management and the focus is only Construction.

I beg to differ. This office has a lot of project management.

But the promotions last year were company wide only for construction managers and none of the project managers were promoted (throwing out names of a few for proper factual impact).

Wait, you're talking company wide?

Boss, I'm quitting the COMPANY! Not this office, not you, not the project. THE COMPANY.

Ok, let me hold on to your letter this weekend, and we'll talk again next week.

HUH?

Have a great weekend!


Ok, what just happened? Did I resign or not? WTF!

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • Oh baby! This is an amazing turn of events ... you could put us project managers in a whole new light with your company. The obviously know how critical you are to your projects or they wouldn't have taken steps to prevent you from quitting. You stand to turn this whole thing into a huge promotion AND bring respect to our profession all from a little resignation letter! I can't wait to see how this plays out! Congrats!

    By Blogger Sara Sue, at 12:01 PM, July 07, 2007  

  • Dayum. That's strange. Sounds like they want you bad! But they'd better back it up with cash.

    By Blogger Phoebe Fay, at 12:10 PM, July 07, 2007  

  • Sara and Phoebe, I've had a very awkward feeling since I woke up. It's that feeling of "oh joy, I finally quit" followed immediately by "umm...no, you didn't." Sort of like "Man, I got tons of candy" followed by "oh, it's not mine?"

    This entire quitting business is overrated. It's not nearly as easy as they make it sound on commercials.

    I expected something quick. A quick death from shooting. Instead I get a very slow and agonyzing process.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 2:41 PM, July 07, 2007  

  • Geez, they're not making it easy for you!

    Just never go back. They'll get the message.

    By Blogger Chickie, at 12:16 AM, July 08, 2007  

  • I agree with Phoebe Fay. Sounds like they don't want you to go, and that they are offering you a promotion. If that's what you want (I'd gets lots of clarity if they are capable of that), and that would help you stay, make sure they pony up more cash! If they want you and your skills that badly they should pay up. If not, well, you already decided to leave, and happily so, so you've got nothing to lose, looks like My two (well, more like 25) cents...

    By Blogger here today, gone tomorrow, at 10:10 AM, July 08, 2007  

  • Tell them you're leaving and will be on personal leave for a brief haitus....giving them time to give you and offer letter per se to stay. If they met your demands IN WRITING and you're willing to stay and be happy, then more power to ya. ps: do you really need to be working? Start a dog sitting business or something and stay at home and enjoy the time off?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:12 PM, July 08, 2007  

  • chickie, they may not get the message, since they hardly ever see me as is, and will assume I still work for them.

    HTGT, your 25 cents are right on. It's what I plan on doing. I resigned because I wasn't promoted. I'll stay if I get promoted AND get a raise.

    anonymous, yes, I really do need to be working, considering your friend has yet to sell my house and I still pay two mortgages!

    Regardless, I do plan to stay home in August and September and enjoy the time off. Or whatever people do on their time off. Oh geez, now I have to come up with a plan...

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 7:05 AM, July 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home