.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hybrid Thoughts

8/01/2007

To those who commented

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to my question from yesterday. Your responses and suggestions were more helpful than any google search I could have done.

I got a card and wrote on it our condolensces, offered our help and signed it with our full names, address, phone numbers and email. Then I went over and knocked on the front door. I had already met our neighbour's daughter one time briefly as we said hello over our yard's fence from a distance in our first week here. She answered the door and I expressed my sadness and gave her the card. She said she didn't remember our names and I told her I wrote it in the card in case she needs any help. It seemed like she and a couple of family relatives were cleaning up the house and packing everything. I offered all the leftover boxes we gathered from our house moving. She was extremely grateful for all the boxes I gave her, because her mother had a huge collection of barbie dolls (400+) and other things that needed packing.

I then asked which charity we can donate to and she said The American Cancer Society. And that's what I did.

I know some of you will think I did a good deed, but I only feel like I silenced my conscience and guilt over not offering help sooner. I don't feel good at all. It's as if I did something now just for my own feel good and after it was too late and not really to help a neighbour whom I knew was dying.

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • I really would not feel bad. As the new people in town there is only so much you could do or can do. One does not move into a new neighborhood and become part of the support network overnight- it's absolutely great that you shoveled her driveway- such kindness is rare these days, and I'm sure it was much appreciated.

    As for not having been in touch with the family sooner, they were probably overwhelmed in the first weeks anyway. Better to have people coming forward later, than to have everyone come at once at the beginning and then disappear. For instance, they probably did not know that they needed extra boxes until they got their packing underway- how nice that instead of you possibly having made some offhand comment about boxes weeks ago, and then they now not remembering who had offered them, that you showed up just when they needed them and had some to give them.

    You've done well, and there is no need to beat yourself up about it.

    By Blogger Forrest Proper, at 3:55 PM, August 01, 2007  

  • I think you did a great thing by going over, as I am certain that there are many neighbors who just heard the news and passed it off as an afterthought.

    Sure, you are entitled to feel badly, that you did not do more. But, the beauty in those feelings is that you can make sure that it will never happen again. If you only learn one small thing from every experience that makes you feel bad or like you should have done more, then you are ahead of the game!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:18 PM, August 01, 2007  

  • I think you did more than most people would do in this day and age, and in the area where we live. Nothing is served by you beating yourself up; you did the right thing.

    By Blogger here today, gone tomorrow, at 9:48 PM, August 01, 2007  

  • P.S. I did get curious...what would be the custom in Israel?

    By Blogger here today, gone tomorrow, at 9:48 PM, August 01, 2007  

  • Tatiana, I agree, if I learn one small thing from the experience, it's well worth it.

    HTGT, the custom in Israel is extremely different, because we have specific Jewish mourning customs that must be followed. First you "sit Shiva" for seven days after the death. Meaning, the family would have their door open for all relatives and friends to come visit and express condolensces. Because the family is required to sit shiva they would not be cooking much nor doing anything, and that's why visitors would bring food to be served to the family and guests that would visit through the week. There are specific foods that are brought. Anything round that symbolizes the cycle of life (hard boiled eggs are common). Then there's the 30 day mourning period and the one year period. Thankfully, I have not experienced it myself (both my parents are alive).

    One thing I do appreciate about religion (I'm not religious myself) is that it does give you framework for transitions in the lifecycle. It's like a Miss Manners book, but over 2000 years old.

    By Blogger Mybrid, at 10:25 PM, August 01, 2007  

  • Thanks, mybrid.

    By Blogger here today, gone tomorrow, at 7:28 AM, August 02, 2007  

  • When my dad died a few years ago, my mom's house was over-run with people within a matter of hours. I am sure my mom appreciated it, but I kind of felt like we needed time alone to process the events ourselves.

    I am sure everyone is different when it comes to death, but I think what you did was very nice and helpful and will be appreciated by her family.

    By Blogger Mike, at 9:03 AM, August 02, 2007  

  • You've reached out to people who needed comfort, that's a great gift. The fact that you feel you should have done more or done it sooner just shows what a loving person you are.

    By Blogger Sara Sue, at 11:41 AM, August 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home